33-1/3 book series adding new titles in 2010/11

Johnny Coli

Not sure if anyone has gotten any of these, but Continuum Books has been putting out short books about notable records from the last 40 years in their 33-1/3 series (easier list to follow, here). I’ve got a couple and they’re pretty cool. They’re all by different authors so you may like a writing style or hate it, but none-the-less its a neat concept. Anyway, towards the end of last year they put out a call on the 33-1/3 Blog for authors to submit proposals for another round of releases. They received 597 proposals, and they’ll whittle those down to roughly 100. The long list of proposals is here (looks like they received more than one for a few records...seven proposals for Slint – Spiderland!!!). Pretty nice list of proposals, and there are a few on there I’ll be pulling for to make the final cut.

No way to tell if they’re good without seeing the actual proposal, but here are a few interesting ones I hope make the cut and into print (anyone who knows me can see there are clearly loads on here that I’ll get if/when they come out, but these are some of the interesting ones outside of the gimmes, IMO).

Brian Eno and David Byrne – My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

Daniel Johnston – Yip/Jump Music

Herb Alpert – Whipped Cream and Other Delights

Johnny Cash – American Recordings

Klaus Nomi – Klaus Nomi (Should be a freaking riot!)

Leonard Cohen – I’m Your Man

Mick Ronson – Slaughter on 10th Avenue

Modern Lovers – Modern Lovers

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Tender Prey

Suicide – Suicide

Various Artists – Let Them Eat Jellybeans (Not sure how they’re gonna do this one, but I hope they can pull it off.)

Willie Nelson – Stardust

Woody Guthrie – Dust Bowl Ballads

Like I said, too many to list and the editor is going to have a tough time paring that list down depending on the quality of the writing and the research. Got any favorite records already covered by the 33-1/3 series, or any on that list you hope make it into the series?

Like I said, too many to list and the editor is going to have a tough time paring that list down depending on the quality of the writing and the research. Got any favorite records already covered by the 33-1/3 series, or any on that list you hope make it into the series?

That's pretty cool. I was not aware of this series, but the vast majority of the stuff on the list is stuff that I love. I will have to check into these.

I dig your short list for the next batch. Incidentally, I love the Tender Prey album, but if it were up to me, I'd pick Murder Ballads for the Nick Cave selection. I just love that album.

I was glad to see that Pavement's Wowee Zowie and Elliott Smith's X/O are being considered. One other possible choice popped up in my head… Television - Marquee Moon.

That's pretty cool. I was not aware of this series, but the vast majority of the stuff on the list is stuff that I love. I will have to check into these.

I dig your short list for the next batch. Incidentally, I love the Tender Prey album, but if it were up to me, I'd pick Murder Ballads for the Nick Cave selection. I just love that album.

I was glad to see that Pavement's Wowee Zowie and Elliott Smith's X/O are being considered. One other possible choice popped up in my head… Television - Marquee Moon.

You don't even have to like the record to appreciate the subject or the author. The Celine Dion one, Let's Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste, written by non-fan Carl Wilson, has made a lot of "best book of 2008" lists. I'm definately picking it up.