Potential injury to the Dolphin looms large for the Game

JuanGuzman

FROM DAVID J NEAL OF THE MIAMI HERALD…The only way Dolphins nose guard Jason Ferguson could be more conspicuous by his absence than he was at Wednesday’s practice is if he’s not present Sunday against Buffalo. And that is a possibility. Ferguson has what is being termed an injury to his oblique muscle, and ”oblique” also could describe the outlook for having Ferguson in Sunday’s lineup. Injuries in that area don’t make for comfortable afternoons for interior linemen, what with all the pushing and pulling that goes on each snap. ”He’s doing better, but this is one of those things,” coach Tony Sparano said. “There is no real timetable for it. I’m not quite sure where this thing is going to be by the end of the week.” Once Ferguson got injured on Baltimore’s first possession Sunday, the Ravens’ offense generally had its way with the Dolphins up the middle. Randy Starks and rookie Lionel Dotson, both defensive ends by trade, had to stand in because nose guard understudy Paul Soliai was serving a one-game suspension. ”It was tough, it was really tough,” Soliai said, though he still refused to say exactly what team policy he violated to get a one-game suspension.

The one big difference in the 3-4 to the 4-3 is the play of the nose. The Steelers play a one gap nose as the Jets and the Fins play a two gap nose and those players are very hard to find and replace when they get hurt. When the Jets take Kris Jenkins out of the game, the opponents can run the ball very well. And when the Fins lose Jason Ferguson, they are not as solid inside in their run defense. This injury will be tough to overcome and the Bills will be able to run the ball with more success inside. Now that Soliai is back, this will give him a chance to prove he can handle the job and showcase his talents. The Bills offensive line will need to match the power and the toughness of the Fins and with the weather a little warmer in Miami for the Bills, they will need to keep their team fresh in the fourth.

Lombadi

If Ferguson is out or nowhere near 100% the Bills ground game could really get going against Miami. I hope he sits out as I think Ferguson is one of the best at plugging and holding ground.