OT My Computer Saga

Corp000085

Ok, there's your mistake: using old components on a new motherboard. Bad idea from the start.

I know, but this is free, i just bought the HDD last spring, so its relatively new, plus i don't have to get a new xp disc or do that reactivation crap.

Anyways, the new BIOS didn't interact well with my IDE devices being set to cable select, like my last MOBO, so i just moved the jumpers to master/slave and now it works perfectly. I'm pretty jacked to finally have a screaming machine. Hopefully, i'll be able to get a SCSI or serial ATA hdd soon.

As for the backup stuff, i actually do have an image of my data from about a month ago on DVDs, it just doesn't have my current outlook archive, so i'm not totally screwed if something bad happens again. But anyways, my computer saga is over. thanks for keeping my thread alive.

I haven't read all the replies, but I could have predicted your result before you wrote what happened. I've had zero to very little success changing motherboards without formatting and re-installing the OS.

Put the system back together, but a new hard drive, plug it in and re-install Windows. It will work. Make sure you have the chipset drivers, sound drivers, LAN drivers, etc. If you don't have them on CD, d/l them from the Intel Motherboard site. There is no reason this won't work and work well.