Random thoughts

Corp000085

-Edwards is the real deal. Accurate as hell... Able to read the pass rush... Able to run a complex offense... Nimble enough to avoid the hit. This guy is the real deal. I know that it kills the JP crowd, but you can't deny that Trent Edwards has arrived.

-Jason Peters. Dude, apparently you weren't entirely in "game shape". That speed bump of a play you made when edwards had the fumble was sooo bush league. With that said though, I'm pleased that the o-line was able to play respectably and they should really improve after a full week of practice.

-Fred Jackson. He's a nice addition to the offense. The ability to make a defense react to you is huge. When FJ was in the game, he was a threat. Not only is he a decent RB between the tackles, but his route running, blocking, and pass catching threats make him an explosive part of the offense.

-Hardy. Dude's a friggin monster. 2 huge catches on that TD drive, including the TD itself. I'm not totally convinced that he was entirely in bounds, but it was close, and not undisputable. Good enough for me. They're obviously working him into the offense. With reed being simply consistent, evans finally as a deep threat, and the RB combos doing their things, its really hard to find a spot for Hardy right now. Again, that's a very good thing, and its nice knowing that the bills are just that deep at WR.

-The defense showed today the absolute definite description of a bend but don't break defense. That huge stretch in the 3rd quarter, they bent badly, gave up some long drives and points, but never once did they give up a big play that would have broken their backs. Stroud got in on that youbouty sack, kyle williams had a key sack in the 4th, mcgee had an INT, and the secondary kept everything underneath. Thankfully, the days of george wilson being torched are long gone.

-Playcalling. The defense remained agressive throughout the game and did not wilt. The offense again went to the back of the playbook and threw some things at the jags that they'd obviously not prepared for. I'm very glad that they went for that FG at the end, but i'm a little dissapointed tha tthey fell for the onsides kick and didn't even challenge the ruling. It did appear to go the full 10 yards, but it was close. If you're calling ballsy plays, at least make a ballsy challenge. If anything, it would have spent a time out to regroup the defense.

-The rushing game. They were effective, but still weren't dominant. A lot of that has to do with the offensive line. Hopefully they can get that worked out. Although the numbers weren't great, they were effective, especially lynch on that TD. The individual effort of lynch and jackson cannot be overstated though. They had a lot of yards after the first contact. Power running works in the heat. Hopefully they can get that elusive 100+ yard game for lynch next week.

-Finally, historically, this is a game that the bills always found a way to lose. They simply had zero killer instinct, and you knew that if it was close, they'd find a way to screw it up. This time, it was different. They put together the go ahead drive then did the unthinkable... Shut down the jags on the ensuing drive. Finally, roscoe (who i'm already going to go ahead and call a pro bowler) shredded them on the following punt return. That sorta crap would never have happened in the past. Bad teams find a way to lose, good teams find a way to win. The Buffalo Bills are finally, finally, finally a good team.

GO BILLS!