I'd like your opinion

TimGraham

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham,

In your opinion, who are the top four (4) heavy weight boxers right now?

I don't follow boxing nearly as much as I used to. Once the Sabres took ahold of WNY and got in the habit of playing well into spring, I didn't have time to cover much else. Likewise, when I began covering the NFL, I had even less time to devote to boxing. But here are the rankings from Dan Rafael, the best and most objective boxing writer in the business (and I would have said that before I started working for ESPN.com; Dan's rankings have been the standard since he was at USA Today).

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/co...&id=3222461

Two things, Tim. Before I use Sunday's game to judge overall Bills coverage, I'd want to ask Allen, Sal, and Leo why they weren't there. The first two should have been; if their absence was determined by budgeting issues, that's something the readers might want to know. Looking through the D&C archive, Leo hasn't written much on the Bills lately. (As I recall, Sal had every byline in the camp guide.) Is this just for the preseason, or does it mark a significant change in their coverage plan? Gotta wonder.

To update this, there's nothing from Leo Roth on the D&C site today. I repeat: gotta wonder, and maybe it's time I followed up on this. On the News side, they had Gleason's column, Gaughan with the gamer, Wilson with the notebook, and David Briggs live-blogging and writing a feature on hometown kid Jon Corto. Typical for an evening home game, although I suspect Rod McKissic would have been there instead of Briggs if UB hadn't had a game the same night. Skurski did a notebook for the Gazette, but they used John Wawrow's AP gamer. Haven't seen Olean yet -- trying to get stuff done here before packing up the laptop and hitting the road -- but I imagine Chuck will have the gamer/sidebar/notebook trifecta. No, come to think of it, J.P. Butler (Vinny Pezzimenti's replacement as the backup Bills writer) probably made the trip north, so he might have a story in there as well.

Guess we won't know any changes for sure until the Bills head to Jacksonville in two weeks.

Edit: Wrong about Olean. Chuck's column, Wawrow's gamer. Today's Friday -- normally a thin section for them, because they essentially do two entire newspapers (Friday PM/Saturday AM) in roughly 18 hours. Plus, our prep football season starts tonight. I should've known better.