Uncapped Year and Holdouts

Chilly

Like many of you, I too had noticed the trend to tell holdouts that teams won't negotiate until they get their ass to camp. It seemed to work with Devin Hester, and both the Bills and Rams are doing it with their respective top players.

What I did not know, however, was whether there was some sort of gentleman's agreement between the owners in order to cut down on holdouts, or if there was some other factor.

As it turns out, there is a possible reason why this is occurring. While reading one of my favorite sources of football information, I came across this explanation:

Some teams are taking a hard line on the holdouts this year - Buffalo and St. Louis are refusing to talk with holdouts Peters and Steven Jackson until they arrive in camp. The teams seem to be ready to let the players sit until past 1 month before regular season, which would impact their accrued seasons of seniority (important for unrestricted free agency). In the event that the CBA is voided (as many expect), the number of accrued seasons of seniority neccesary for free agency increases from 4 to 6 years after 2009.

In 2010, if there is no CBA, Peters would have 6 years of seniority and eligible for Free Agency (2004-2009). However, if the Bills let him sit out to the point it impacts his accrued seasons, he'll be stuck with the Bills. The same is occurring with Steven Jackson, who was drafted in 2004.

Interesting point, but I don't think it's very consequential. Peters won't be holding out that long.

I think this might become even more prevalent next year with players attempting to hold out - tit gives the teams some extra leverage.