Want a top-notch DE in the Draft?

ax4782

For those Derrick Harvey enthusiasts out there, a better decision for the Bills would be to sign Jared Allen when the Chiefs cut him loose. Allen is a proven talent at DE, having led the league in sacks last year. He's a young player having just turned 26, just what the Bills are looking for, and he would be an amazing talent across from Schobel. Kelsay would then become one of the better backup DEs around. That along with the other upgrades on the D-Line in the offseason would put our D in really great shape.

Then, Buffalo could concentrate on their NEED picks in the first three rounds, i.e. WR, CB, TE. The cost to get Allen would likely be a second or third round pick, or a package of later picks, of which we have a plethora. Or, the Chiefs need a QB. Say we trade JP and our comp fourth for Allen and pick up the remainder of his contract, which I think has one or two yera to go, and sign him to an extension. We have plenty of cap room.

That would allow us to be in good position in the draft to pick up top players at all of our need positions, and not have to be tempted by drafting Derrick Harvey, who does not look like the best DE available in the draft. Quentin Groves looks like a much better all around football player at that position, but that's just one man's opinion. I say get Jared Allen and quiet the talk about the D-Line.

A better DE than Harvey on the field last year was Miss State's Titus Brown. The NFL foolishly asked Brown to play OLB at the Senior Bowl. That was a "value creating" blunder. Brown is a great DE who plays with power, intensity, and is extremely quick off the snap. Will anyone in the NFL figure that out before the next 7 days?

Jared Allen is one screw up away from a year long suspension, not the type of guy you want to give a huge signing bonus.

If the offer is there to trade down, the Bills should take it. The top of the DL board past the two DTs is lame. The WR class is a mess. There are a lot of great values past round 1, players like Keenan Burton, Craig Stevens, Brown, Tracy Porter, Dre Moore, David Vobora, Chris Johnson as a WR/slot hybrid, Shawn Murphy.

Trade down and get the Draft's healthy, high character values. Never trade quality picks for another team's expensive head case.

Then, Buffalo could concentrate on their NEED picks in the first three rounds, i.e. WR, CB, TE. The cost to get Allen would likely be a second or third round pick, or a package of later picks, of which we have a plethora. Or, the Chiefs need a QB. Say we trade JP and our comp fourth for Allen and pick up the remainder of his contract, which I think has one or two yera to go, and sign him to an extension. We have plenty of cap room.

You gotta look into this stuff a little more. The talk right now is the Vikings signing Allen outright, which would cost them TWO first round picks, not just a secord or third in a trade. Even if they hammer out a deal with KC, it will be a first and second.

Also, he will demand a contract greater than Schobel's. Selecting a DE at 11 would cost us a fourth of Schobel's deal.

I would like to add Allen to the Bills (who wouldn't?), but it's certainly not feasible.

You gotta look into this stuff a little more. The talk right now is the Vikings signing Allen outright, which would cost them TWO first round picks, not just a secord or third in a trade. Even if they hammer out a deal with KC, it will be a first and second.

Also, he will demand a contract greater than Schobel's. Selecting a DE at 11 would cost us a fourth of Schobel's deal.

I would like to add Allen to the Bills (who wouldn't?), but it's certainly not feasible.

I understand your point. Minnesota has shown a lot of interest. However, they haven't signed him yet, and the reason it is going to cost them so much is because they aren't offering KC anything BUT draft picks. Thus, they have to give up more, though a 1st and a 2nd would be even too much. I suggesting giving them a player they need. Say, a QB. We have one, and we ship him off with our second and a fourth for Allen. We have the money to sign him to an extension, and it would be performance based, so his salary would be reasonable and only if he attains those lofty bonus numbers would his contract be in the realm of higher than Schobel's. The problem is, if you draft a guy who turns out to be good, you have to resign them down the road to big money anyway, or cut them. Cutting good players is a way to make your team suck, so you have to tighten the belt and pay them. Thus, we could get Allen now, if the offer were good enough, AND still get a top notch player in a position that we need. I understand your point, I happen to think you're wrong.

Jared Allen is the best DE in the game right now, unfortunately the Bills don't have the kind of scratch to afford him or to take a chance on him if he goes back to the bottle. But for the 14 games he played in last year he was the most dominating DE force in the game, especially considering the Chiefs crappy D-line. IN my eyes, The guy is a legitimately the best DE in all of the NFL last year.

I understand your point. Minnesota has shown a lot of interest. However, they haven't signed him yet, and the reason it is going to cost them so much is because they aren't offering KC anything BUT draft picks. Thus, they have to give up more, though a 1st and a 2nd would be even too much. I suggesting giving them a player they need. Say, a QB. We have one, and we ship him off with our second and a fourth for Allen. We have the money to sign him to an extension, and it would be performance based, so his salary would be reasonable and only if he attains those lofty bonus numbers would his contract be in the realm of higher than Schobel's. The problem is, if you draft a guy who turns out to be good, you have to resign them down the road to big money anyway, or cut them. Cutting good players is a way to make your team suck, so you have to tighten the belt and pay them. Thus, we could get Allen now, if the offer were good enough, AND still get a top notch player in a position that we need. I understand your point, I happen to think you're wrong.

I understand the concept you're talking about, and I agree. But if you were the Chiefs, and the Bills were offering Losman, a second and fourth and the Vikings were offering a first and second? You wouldn't even consider the Bills offer. Probably not even if we offered a first instead of a second. Losman is a non-factor.

As for salary, Allen would have no reason to sign a performance based contract. He's proven he's a force. His agent plans on making him the highest paid DE in the league.

Trust me, if there was a way to make Allen a Bill, I would listen. It's just not possible under your circumstances. Just my two cents.

Yeah Jared Allen in Buffalo, a town where the bars are open til 4am, this is a match made in heaven.

Yeah, and I read somewhere else that after all his alcohol issues (at least 2 DUI's in the last year or so), he now owns a bar. A really bright guy, IMHO. My prediction is he will be serving a one year suspension (he already got the 4 gamer last season, reduced to two) within the next two years.....

"Jared Allen is the best DE in the game right now"

Oh please...

Just counting sacks doesn't fully measure the DE. Allen got some help from the pressure coming from the other side: Hali. To say he is better than Mario Williams is laughable.

Dishing top picks for the right to pay this character case a huge bonus and top dollar is close to insane, and way beyond stupid.

"Jared Allen is the best DE in the game right now"

Oh please...

Just counting sacks doesn't fully measure the DE. Allen got some help from the pressure coming from the other side: Hali. To say he is better than Mario Williams is laughable.

Dishing top picks for the right to pay this character case a huge bonus and top dollar is close to insane, and way beyond stupid.

Dude, Allen bothers me, but in last year's game against the Colts when the Chiefs almost pulled an upset, he was getting to Manning on every single play unlike an DE I've ever seen.

"but in last year's game against the Colts when the Chiefs almost pulled an upset, he was getting to Manning on every single play"

Perhaps that might have had something to do with the fact that Charles Johnson was the Colt OLT that game...

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/2...ND_Gamebook.pdf

Don't get me wrong. The "fact" that Allen is credited with zero sacks and one pressure does not "refute" what you observed. Rather, the level of competition does. Allen played in the AFC West, against Barry Sims, Lepsis' backup, and the horribly overrated Marcus McNeil, who is a lousy pass blocker. Allen is not that good. If Mario Williams had played against Denver every game last year, he would have had 40 sacks. Also add in the reality that, because of Hali, Allen did not see a lot of double teams either.