2008 Big Climb for Leukemia

SilverNRed

Alright, good news and bad news, people. The bad news is we just lost a year's worth of posts at TSW. The good news is you can still donate some money to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Every year in Seattle we have the Big Climb where participants run up the stairs of the state's tallest building, the Columbia Tower, to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I'm doing it this year and here's what you need to know:

22nd Annual Big Climb for Leukemia: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s most challenging event. Last March, over 4,200 people climbed the stairs at the Columbia Center in downtown Seattle, the state’s tallest skyscraper, and raised over $700,000. The 69-flight course includes 1,311 steps, 19 steps per flight and 788 feet of vertical elevation.

Leukemia: A cancer of the body’s blood-forming organs, the leading disease killer of children; yet for every child diagnosed, ten adults face this disease. Thanks to research supported by contributions to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, survival rates in both adult and childhood leukemia have dramatically improved.

Leukemia has had it too good for too long and it’s time to draw a line in the sand. That’s why I’ve decided to risk my life, and my Sunday afternoon, to scale the Columbia Tower and, in doing so, put Leukemia in its place. I mean, seriously, blood cancer?! That’s like the worst thing in the world that I know about. And it targets kids! Maybe the rest of you want to just let blood cancer do whatever it wants all day long, but I don’t. Not in my neighborhood.

http://www.active.com/donate/2008bigclimb/robz

Thanks for the pledges so far. They're adding up nicely.

If you're on the fence about donating, just try to keep in mind that Leukemia is out there killing little kids right now. Maybe even in your neighborhood. Of course, me and the rest of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society would love to stop it, but we can't do much if more people don't toss some big paper our way.