HA! just called out ESPN on chat wrap...

jri111

John (Arlington, VA): What is it this year with the national media's bias to large market teams. I realized it's existed for a while, but it seems even more prevelent this year. The national meida keeps shredding the Bills for their offseason moves, yet a closer analysis would reveal that EVERY move they've made has made sense for one reason or another. They just see that Nate Clements, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, and Willis McGahee (i.e. named players) and immediatly call the Bills crazy. Mcgahee was a malicant who didn't gain 1000 yards last season and hated Buffalo, Fletcher is an undersized linebacker who is on the wrong side of 30 and the Bills weren't willing to pay $5 million/year for, Takeo has played in 15 games in the last two seasons, and its ludicrise to make Nate Clements the highest payed defensive palyer in NFL history, especially when you play a cover-2 defense where CBs aren't as important. Where did the good reporting go?

Chris Neubauer: (4:21 PM ET ) I'm not anti-Bills. In fact, I like the moves where they have gotten rid of Fletcher-Baker, Spikes and McGahee. I wish they would have re-signed Mike Gandy. Didn't like their signing of Derrick Dockery. Now that J.P. Losman has figured himself out and appears to be the QB of the future, I think the Bills are in good shape to get back to the playoffs in the next two years. They just need to find a starting running back. If they can land Adrian Peterson, that would be awesome.

I just wish it was one of the ESPN guys that talks smack agisnt the Bills instead of Christ Neubauer, who seems to know what's he's talking about more or less... oh well! at least i got on there!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John (Arlington, VA): What is it this year with the national media's bias to large market teams. I realized it's existed for a while, but it seems even more prevelent this year. The national meida keeps shredding the Bills for their offseason moves, yet a closer analysis would reveal that EVERY move they've made has made sense for one reason or another. They just see that Nate Clements, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, and Willis McGahee (i.e. named players) and immediatly call the Bills crazy. Mcgahee was a malicant who didn't gain 1000 yards last season and hated Buffalo, Fletcher is an undersized linebacker who is on the wrong side of 30 and the Bills weren't willing to pay $5 million/year for, Takeo has played in 15 games in the last two seasons, and its ludicrise to make Nate Clements the highest payed defensive palyer in NFL history, especially when you play a cover-2 defense where CBs aren't as important. Where did the good reporting go?

Chris Neubauer: (4:21 PM ET ) I'm not anti-Bills. In fact, I like the moves where they have gotten rid of Fletcher-Baker, Spikes and McGahee. I wish they would have re-signed Mike Gandy. Didn't like their signing of Derrick Dockery. Now that J.P. Losman has figured himself out and appears to be the QB of the future, I think the Bills are in good shape to get back to the playoffs in the next two years. They just need to find a starting running back. If they can land Adrian Peterson, that would be awesome.

I just wish it was one of the ESPN guys that talks smack agisnt the Bills instead of Christ Neubauer, who seems to know what's he's talking about more or less... oh well! at least i got on there!

your name's John?

He doesn't like the signing of Dockery, a top ten guard (the stats to prove it!) yet he wants to sign Mike Gandy who is at the bottom of the barrel (stats to prove that, too).

Go figure it?

He doesn't like the signing of Dockery, a top ten guard (the stats to prove it!) yet he wants to sign Mike Gandy who is at the bottom of the barrel (stats to prove that, too).

Go figure it?

Offensive lineman stats are about as gross as it gets. I played offensive line for years. Some of the worst lineman had multiple pancakes and takedowns, while the better lineman were driving people out of the way.

Go figure it?

Seriously, hence the "more or less" comment. Gandy vs. Dockery, is that even an argument?! In truth I'm surpirsed he answered my question at all, maybe the length of it caught his eye. Like I said, I wish it was one of those "know-it-all-Willis-lovers" though, i would love to see one of their responses!

Seriously, hence the "more or less" comment. Gandy vs. Dockery, is that even an argument?! In truth I'm surpirsed he answered my question at all, maybe the length of it caught his eye. Like I said, I wish it was one of those "know-it-all-Willis-lovers" though, i would love to see one of their responses!

He lost me right here

Fans must realize that they wear colored glasses when it comes to their favorite team. They dont see everything that a person who may not be a fan of the team, sees. I think his point was that we could have paid Gandy WAY less than Dockery, and he probably see's something in Gandy that we did not. We watch on TV and at the stadium. These guys are watching gametape and analyzing things all the time. Thats part of their job.

It just drives me crazy how many fans on this board call ESPN, CBS, sports writers ... etc all crazy and wrong, when they (the fans on this board) probably know less about the individual player (or football in general) than the reporters do.

Fans must realize that they wear colored glasses when it comes to their favorite team. They dont see everything that a person who may not be a fan of the team, sees. I think his point was that we could have paid Gandy WAY less than Dockery, and he probably see's something in Gandy that we did not. We watch on TV and at the stadium. These guys are watching gametape and analyzing things all the time. Thats part of their job.

It just drives me crazy how many fans on this board call ESPN, CBS, sports writers ... etc all crazy and wrong, when they (the fans on this board) probably know less about the individual player (or football in general) than the reporters do.

Actually MOST of "these guys" do no such thing. They watch highlights, and have a (network/company) research person (or staff) to advise them.

do you honestly think Trey Wingo, Stuart Scott, and Kenny Mayne watch game footage to study guys like Gandy?

and for that matter do you think even John Clayton does??

What I do know is that Dockery played on a line that ranked second and seventh in rushing the last two years and he gave up only 13 1/2 sacks in four seasons. Gandy gives up 13 1/2 sacks per season (a little exaggerated..more like 11 1/2 sacks) and played on the 28th or 29th rushing offense that couldn't get a third and one more than 10% of the time.

I'll take Dockery even at the price we paid...thank you very much. I'm not going through another season of watching our running back run into a pile of bodies.

Actually MOST of "these guys" do no such thing. They watch highlights, and have a (network/company) research person (or staff) to advise them.

Read what I wrote below.

do you honestly think Trey Wingo, Stuart Scott, and Kenny Mayne watch game footage to study guys like Gandy?

and for that matter do you think even John Clayton does??

You mean the anchors of ESPN, who simply read off of a teleprompter? Then no.

John Clayton. Yes, absolutely. He speaks (and knows well) many general managers across the league.

What I do know is that Dockery played on a line that ranked second and seventh in rushing the last two years and he gave up only 13 1/2 sacks in four seasons. Gandy gives up 13 1/2 sacks per season (a little exaggerated..more like 11 1/2 sacks) and played on the 28th or 29th rushing offense that couldn't get a third and one more than 10% of the time.

I'll take Dockery even at the price we paid...thank you very much. I'm not going through another season of watching our running back run into a pile of bodies.

if this reflects your method for evaluating OL then you must have been astonished when we signed Walker.

Im not defending Gandy. But I will say that (as a former lineman), the lineman around you certainly can influence how you play. Whenever I had a bad guard to the left of me, I gave up more sacks/breakdowns due to the oncoming pressure.

As far as your last sentence goes. Does this mean you will stop watching the Bills if the line is just as bad this year?

John Clayton. Yes, absolutely. He speaks (and knows well) many general managers across the league.

ah ha! but no mention of game film analysis. just because he sucks off john gruden or tony dungy in a backroom doesn't make him a personell expert- it makes him a rachel nicholsesque insider.

ah ha! but no mention of game film analysis. just because he sucks off john gruden or tony dungy in a backroom doesn't make him a personell expert- it makes him a rachel nicholsesque insider.

I can always count on this board to provide some sort of disgusting analogy. Thanks for that.

I dont know if John Clayton watches gametape. I do know that some sports writers do. That is a fact. I also know that there is a program on NFL Chanel where they break down the game tape.