The Draft

JoeF

Look at how difficult it is to find big quick nose tackles in free agency. Teams that have potential NT's who are still at the early stage or peaks of their career never let them get to the market. This year's top of the draft has one existing big body in Alan Branch and one huge potential one in Amobi Okoye. Marv said we had two priorities in order:

1) Upgrading the Offensive Line - Done

2) Getting better at stopping the run - Have to do this by filling the open LB spot and the NT tackle spot with run stopping players with a priority on the NT slot

I gotta believe that we do whatever it takes to move up to get one of these guys--the latest mocks have them going in the top 10. We have another 3rd to leverage and packaging our one, our three and our four gets us the five or six slot move we need to get into pick 5, 6 or 7 and get one of these two. If we do this -- I think we rescind the offer to Anderson and the rotation becomes Tripplett, Williams at the 3 and McCargo and the new draftee at the Nose.

This is McCargo's big off-season--hit the weights--gain the base and the bulk (he can add 10 lbs easily to his frame without losing his quicks) and begin to show us the promise that he has....but we also need to draft someone as a hedge--we need 4 for the rotation and I am worried that McCargo's foot could be a chronic issue.

i would like branch more than okoye just because hes not potential, but someone that can make an impact now. but i dont know if moving up is something we really want to do, just that we could trade down and get an LB who could do well to stop the run, then get a DT later in the draft or next year.