Meat and Potatoes

Meat and Potatoes

By: Randy Green

3/6/07

My high school coach always called our offensive line the “meat and potatoes”. He claimed he named us that because he couldn’t live without meat and potatoes just like our offense wouldn’t be able to survive if we didn’t do our job. Personally, I think he was just saying that all five of us ate too much. I recalled this memory when I saw what the Bills had done in free agency so far. Marv Levy went shopping early in free agency and the only thing he wanted was meat and potatoes. Levy pulled an old recipe for a dish he was used to in the early 90’s when Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas were able to put up Hall of Fame numbers because of a very good offensive line. For over a decade now the Bills have continually missed in the draft and in free agency on the opportunity to add talent to the O-Line at their own peril. I am not sure if the players Levy brought in can mirror the production of the brilliant combination of Wolford, Davis, Hull, Richter, and Ballard but one thing is for sure, Marv Levy’s main mission this off-season is to make another great recipe with meat and potatoes.

The porterhouse steak if you will of the new recipe is Derrick Dockery formerly of the Washington Redskins. The Bills signed Dockery, a former third round pick from Texas, to a monster 7 years and 49million dollar contract including 18.5 guaranteed. Dockery is the classic mauler type at left guard where he has not missed a start since his rookie year for the Redskins. Dockery at 6’6” and 345 pounds is a massive man with good mobility. Although a big man from the University of Texas concept has me a little nervous (Mike Williams), there is no doubt that the combination of Dockery and left tackle Jason Peters will provide J. P. Losman with a reliable blindside not to mention provide a good jolt to the running game.

The NY strip steak of this recipe (sorry, steak and football go hand in hand) is Langston Walker. Walker is a former second round pick of the Raiders from Cal. Walker will come in and immediately upgrade the right tackle position. Terrance Pennington was not horrific in his rookie season but the Bills constantly had to slide protection to his side to help which made their protection schemes far too predictable. Walker is another monster at 6’8” and 345 and can maul in the running game because of his size and has a pretty good initial set as a pass protector. Walker signed for 5 years and 25 million. Between Walker and Dockery, it’s safe to assume the Bills will be better up front in ‘07.

The potatoes of Levy’s new recipe is Jason Whittle. Whittle will likely compete with Duke Preston for the right guard position after signing a one year deal for around 800,000 dollars. Even if Whittle doesn’t secure a starting position, he provides valuable depth and versatility given is ten years experience and the multiple amount of positions he’s played. The Bills will be his fourth team with the others being the Vikings, Bucs and two stops with the Giants where he played under Jim McNally, Buffalo’s offensive line coach.

So far I would have to say I like what Marv Levy is cooking up. He thus far has shown great focus on the meat and potatoes of the team, the offensive line. There is still a lot of work to do. The Bills have lost Nate Clements to the 49ers to a ludicrous contract (8 years 80million) and also have lost London Fletcher-Baker to the Redskins meaning they’ve lost a lot of talent and leadership. I look for the Bills to sign one or two more modest free agents and draft defensively again like they did last year. There is also the possibility that the Bills could trade Willis Mcgahee and Takeo Spikes which would create two more holes. In the end though, I like that Marv Levy has decided that it is time to move the football consistently and the only way to do that is to give J. P. Losman a healthy helping of meat and potatoes

Even though my English is not the best, I usually blast people on the board for criticizing other people's English. Not everyone is a scholar. I would however like to say what a fine essay "Meat and Potatoes" is. It is good to see a post that is well worded, flows well, and meets the general criteria of an essay is posted and shared with others. Thanks bud8andbills.