Clements and Dockery are big winners in free agency

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10040633/2

The Winners

Nate Clements: First, Clements should thank the Buffalo Bills. They're the people who last year promised him they wouldn't make him a franchise player again. Second, he can thank 49ers owner John York. He's the guy who signs the paychecks that put $22 million in guaranteed money in Clements' pockets.

Maybe Clements got the word from Jonas Jennings. He's the free-agent tackle who escaped Buffalo when the 49ers offered him a contract that paid $12 million in guaranteed money. The 49ers overpaid then, and they overpaid now. Champ Bailey? Yeah, maybe then I could see it. Nate Clements? No.

"But that is the going rate," one scout told me, "for a top corner these days."

Maybe. I still think they paid too much, which happens when you're desperate to make something happen. Anyway, they needed help at the position and had the cash and the cap room to make a bold move -- and there is none bolder than this one. Clements is a physical cornerback who can cover and tackle; who is 27; who is durable; and who was at or near the top of most free-agent tote boards.

Yes, this makes the 49ers a better club, but at a dreadfully high cost. Someone once told me that you look at it like this: You figure he plays a minimum of three years, right? At least you hope so. So, in essence, this becomes a deal for $7 million and change per year, and that's not all that bad. OK, I feel better already. All I know is that Clements is one lucky camper. Talk about the right place at the right time. The man just hit the NFL lottery.

Eric Steinbach and Derrick Dockery: Two guards with zero Pro Bowl credentials pulling down nearly $100 million between them? Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

A year ago, Cleveland signed Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley to a six-year, $36 million deal. Then he suffered what could be a career-ending injury. So the Browns try to make up for the loss by shelling out $49.5 million for Steinbach? Wow. No one can accuse GM Phil Savage of sitting on his hands. He's doing everything he can to make sure Romeo Crennel keeps his job.

The Bills overpaid for Dockery, but look at the move like this: It's a way of protecting your most valuable asset, quarterback J.P. Losman. If Losman is going to keep improving, he needs protection, and Dockery is an upgrade over left guard Mike Gandy. I trust Bills fan Rich Q. when he weighs in on his club and tells me, "Dockery is as much a nod to Losman's development as it is a recognition that the Bills need to improve in the trenches." OK, I'll buy that. But at $49 million? Is this a great country or what?

New England Patriots: Two words: Adalius Thomas. He was one of the top two free agents on the board, with San Francisco poised to make a run at him. One problem: The Patriots got to him first, and good for them. Good for Thomas, too. This is a perfect fit. Thomas is a playmaker best suited to a defense that will move him all over the field, which means he's best suited to playing for Bill Belichick.

The scorecard lists Thomas as an outside linebacker, but trust me, Belichick will have him everywhere -- at defensive end, covering wide receivers, plugging the middle -- which means it just got tougher to game plan the Patriots. Thomas' strength is his versatility. He can cover the field as easily as he can rush the pocket, and, remember, he had 11 sacks for the Ravens last season. Also remember that New England was one minute from the Super Bowl. You think he would've made a difference in that second half against Indianapolis? You bet he would. One other thing: I liked the Patriots' pickup of tight end Kyle Brady. He's 35, but the guy can block.