The most interesting part of the Marv presser IMHO

Pyrite Gal

was his specific comments about our WRs. I was fairly surprised by them not in terms of his assessment of them (which I actually agree with which is a likely sign they are wrong) but instead that he was so specific and effusive in his praise for them. Even I would not give them such a whole sale endorsement, but it seems pretty clear that unless Marv is simply lying about this item as part of an effort to fool our opponents, it seems pretty unlikely that those posters who have endorsed the concept of drafting Meacham or are interested in finding a new #2 possession receiver are not likely to find much satisfaction from the draft or FA.

Marv specifically talked about:

Evans being a true #1 WR- I agree

PP having had a good season- I generally agree as I think the 49 catches he was credited with was certainly adequate for a #2, but I do not think he was used properly as he was employed as a possession receiver and I think Fairchild has a lot more he needs to show and if JP has shown enough that he can be liberated a bit PP seems to have some speed left which not taken advantage of in our O.

Parrish- He sited Parrish as likely having some more output to show- I agree and the several bursts he showed such as the TD against the Jets is something we need to have Fairchild run the O to produce more of.

Reed- He also specifically praised Reed's production- A agree also that he showed a lot finally since a very good freshman campaign. I love his run after the catch potential as seen when he bulled his way to a TD in one of our final games.

Overall, though I think they deserved praise for their play, I do not think Fairchild really designed an O or called the games effectively for much of the season. This may have been because JP needed to get his feet under him so he dumbed down the O attack. However, the deed seems to be done and we need to push JP to push the O more next season.

This may have been because our OL was in disarray. However, this unit is much improved since the mid-season shake-up and with the addition of a vet guard and development of Butler to challenge and prod Pennington, this unit may actually become good.

This may have been because he never found an effective way to involve the RBs in the pass attack. However, I think if they simply cut Shelton who was no Sam Gash they running attack will be more productive in a single back set with a spread and Evans, PP, and Parrish providing scary speed which forces opposing Ds into the nickel. In addition, I think more empty backfield with Reed lining up as a 4th WR who picks on coverage if the other team goes to the dime or maybe even shift into the backfield and we run is a better approach.

At any rate, the comments were interesting.

I like the idea on 3rd and 4 (or less) of evans, PP, RP spread out and Reed in the backfield. I have more faith in reed picking up a few tough yards than willis. We haven't seen too much of that, but they did use it a few times at the end of the year with success. He could be the dynamic 3rd down option we have been missing. Throw in a decent 2 TE set, and we would have alot of options on O.......