New Landscape For Restricted Free Agents

OnTheRocks

Interesting Article

This not something I had ever considered when watching who the Bills are targeting and why.

I understand that they always have to consider what the compensation will be but I didn't realize this was part of it.

"I've found that the line of demarcation is whether a player was drafted on the first day or the second day," Overdorf said. "If a player was drafted late on the second day in the fifth, sixth or seventh round and has turned into a pretty decent player, chances are teams will be more apt to sign such a player to an offer sheet. The potential compensation is minimal provided the player was given the low tender."

The Bills made use of that strategy in their pursuit of Wells (6th round pick) and Idonije (undrafted free agent), both of whom were given low tenders.

I thought this was even smarter:

Looking at Buffalo's restricted free agents, defensive end Anthony Hargrove may be the most coveted of the group. A 23-year old defensive end with a good build, athleticism and pass rush ability is not easy to find. Many would think that the second round tender would come in handy for the Bills.

However, it stands to reason that the low tender ($850K) may be enough of a deterrent to other teams. Hargrove was a third-round pick when he was drafted which means even if the Bills decide to use just the low tender on him, at worst Buffalo would get a third round pick if they elected not to match a potential offer sheet from another team.

Buffalo's front office no doubt thought of this possible scenario when they made the trade for Hargrove last season. They surrendered a fifth-round pick for the soon-to-be restricted free agent, knowing if they lost him to another team this offseason they would still come out ahead. Just by using the low tender they could land a third-round pick.

Not bad work. And I like Hargrove, anyway. Win-win situation.