First "Gentleman's" Super Bowl in a long time

AKC

Two coaches whose lives were completely devoted to the moment- yet neither went the low road by seeking an advantage in the "officiating apprehension" that has become a highly debatable element of the modern Super Bowl.

Good, solid, physical hits by some of the best in the game, without any playing "through" the whistle as too many coaches promote within their ranks today.

No pre-game talk about head-hunting someone on the other side.

No fringe-of-the-rule-book cut or chop blocking in the interior by either offensive line.

No clear defensive strategy to grab wideouts jerseys or otherwise illegally impede their play outside the view of the zebras.

Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy just provided us an indelible reminder of what the game of football can be when two guys with integrity show up on Sunday with their teams embracing that same virtue. They both had the desire necessary to win it all, yet the poor sportsmanship of other succesful coaches this past season was nowhere to be found. In fact, one Sunday appeared as dissapointed for the other as the other was proud of his winning opponent. None of the low sportsmanship, bitter and hate-based personalities that we've seen at the close of games in the recent past.

It should remind us all that it's been too long since we had this type of integrity in the big game. I applaud both coaches and the players who followed them into the game with these ideals on the very top of their priority lists. Hopefully we'll be rewarded with more matchups of teams of integrity as we watch the current changing of the guard in the NFL.

Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy just provided us an indelible reminder of what the game of football can be when two guys with integrity show up on Sunday with their teams embracing that same virtue. They both had the desire necessary to win it all, yet the poor sportsmanship of other succesful coaches this past season was nowhere to be found.

I guess I saw the game differently. I saw two average teams play a very forgettable game in the rain. If that is how virtuous teams play, I would prefer a little less integrity and a little more intensity.