Random thoughts

SouthernMan

I think it was only around 10 mil. I don't know why people think Ralph is just being cheap and doesn't want to spend it. its not like this team was only 1-2 players away from a SB run and Rlph wanted rookies in there. Most teams Re-building like the Bills are don't spend up to the cap until they are only a couple players away from making a huge run. They develop younger players and keep cap money free by not giving out huge bonuses and contracts to mediocre players so in future seasons they aren't dealing with deadcap money.

If Ralph were as cheap as everyone here would like the world to think, he would have packed up and sold the team to make money years ago instead of staying in Buffalo and making a small profit off the team.

863051[/snapback]

Great explanations. Thanks. If things go well these last few games maybe he'll go out and get those 1-2 players!

I think it's become cliché to talk about rebuilding the D-line, but really, how much are we talking about here?

If we address the D-line, I would hope it would be in the form of a good run-stuffing DT.  When Big Ted, Sam Adams, or Pat Williams were plugging up the run game, that's when the Bills were ranked in the top 2 or 3 defenses. Stopping the run IS the key to being a dominant defense. 

862781[/snapback]

You make too much sense.

If we had that this year, we'd most definitely make the playoffs. The defense cost us a chance at postseason. I know offensively we struggled and didn't put up points but when we did have leads in the 4th quarter of games, we couldn't hold it.

There are many injuries where year 1 back you have no shot of being 100%, but year 2+ you are fully recovered. This is very common with pitcher's shoulders in baseball. I imagine there is something similar at work with TKO, that the generic recovery from the surgery in time for camp didn't get him back to 100% on the Achilles, and also completely got in the way of his normal off season work. Then the hamstring injury got in the way further.

I'm excited to see him playing better in recent weeks. I think medically he could go either way - recover fully or never be the same player, but if I had to put my money down, I think that he will recover fully by training camp, and physically be the player he was, and have fewer miles on his odometer than his age suggests due to the forced time off (not talking about the injured area obviously, but all the wear and tear a linebacker takes play after play over the years).

Crowell is young, talented, and on the upswing. Ellison is encouraging, but I don't know if he will be a role player or can be an impact player yet. Fletcher has his share of tackles nine yards downfield, but I still think he is a tremendous player, and has the type of durable body that will age well.

I would like to see a young linebacker added if there is a good player available (perhaps more raw talent with a lower pick who can develop slowly), but don't see the position as a crucial need.

I also think that McCargo coming back and hopefully having gained some knowledge in the first year is a big addition, and our DT need is someone to push Kyle down to 4th in the rotation (and Anderson out), and compete with McCargo and Larry for the 3rd spot.

I want an impact RG more than anything that can get Preston back into a solid backup role, and after that it is a tossup between replacing the solid but unspectacular veteran Gandy, or the potential but raw rookie Pennington. I'd love if both surprise and do very well, and Preston is the only starter replaced, but we might be best off replacing the second weakest link as well.

Our cap money isn't going to be as much as it seems because lots of other teams are going to have it too, so it is an inflationary environment. I'd really like to see Nate back, and I'd like to look at some TE/WR options that could improve us as well.

The single biggest thing I see is that other than getting an impact RG (I would say DT if McCargo weren't coming back), we can evaluate the draft and free agents, and not be forced to reach or overspend for a glaring need. Our team has shown itself to be more balanced than it had seemed, and that is a great position to be in to make the most advantageous off season decisions.

I think we sign Nate and Fletcher with backloaded contracts. (3-5 yrs) The priority this offseason I think is either sign a veteran or draft a wide body (quick or not) for the Dline for 1st and 2nd down. The opposition is killing us with their run game. I know we have McCargo - but he is an unknown at this point. Before his injury Kyle Williams was outplaying him - so I'm not sold on him.

Having a DT who can keep guys off our LBs will address the LBs issues somewhat. Someone like a Robaire Smith - if the Titans don't resign him or maybe Michael Myers from Denver. We don't need a sack machine just someone that doesn't get pushed around. That I think will help Triplett and Williams as well.

I don't think neither Smith nor Myers will be expensive. I love Whitner but man Haloti Ngata would look good in a Bills uniform.

Charles