You guys won't believe this...

Nostradamus

Ed is pretty cool, I sent an email to him as well and he replyed within 2 hours!

Sounds like from his email the JP sack call is bothering him and he wishes he didn't make the call. But he does swears the ball was tipped on the other play

Yes that was the only call he wanted back, the others were close he mentioned but called correctly

To clarify, he only wanted one back of the calls he himself made, right?  I mean, he's not saying the Price incompletion is correct?

858320[/snapback]

I agree with you, I consider him one of the best in the game so I don't get frustrated as much when calls go against us. There are some refs however...

Out of all of the refs in the league, Ed Hochuli is one of the few I can very rarely complain about. He usually calls a great game. I for one wish we could have him more often than we do.

858326[/snapback]

Ed is pretty cool, I sent an email to him as well and he replyed within 2 hours! 

Sounds like from his email the JP sack call is bothering him and he wishes he didn't make the call. But he does swears the ball was tipped on the other play

858315[/snapback]

Gotta give it to the guy. I have to give him props for finding humor about a situation he could have easily found not funny. I'm curious if he considers the non-pass interference calls the right calls, or if those just aren't his domain. I'd write him to find out, but I might as well quit while I'm ahead :doh:

Gotta give it to the guy. I have to give him props for finding humor about a situation he could have easily found not funny. I'm curious if he considers the non-pass interference calls the right calls, or if those just aren't his domain. I'd write him to find out, but I might as well quit while I'm ahead :doh:

858344[/snapback]

Give us a break dude ... that is clearly not his domain. If the referee who was closest to the play does not throw a flag, what is Ed supposed to do? Come 20 yards across the field and throw a PI flag?

Here is his reply, I just wanted to clarify pass interference rules and replay and was questioning how protective they are told to be of qbs thinking maybe that influenced his call, but he thought he saw a knee down.

I totally screwed up that sack call, and boy do I wish I could have it back. That’s an “instinct” call, and the way he went down odd, sort of to a knee, my instinct said he was down. There were 2 or 3 others that were very close, and I got those right, but I hate that I missed this one.

The current rules to protect the QB shouldn’t stop anyone from getting a sack – they just can’t punish the QB in the process. These guys are good enough to know and do the difference. I’m not familiar with the play in the Tenn game you’re talking about.

If pass interference is called, it can be reviewed to see if the ball was tipped, and if it was, the flag is picked up. However, that one we didn’t call, so if there was a review and we said there was no tip, we can’t then throw a flag after replay. However, on that play, it was tipped. The ball changed directions – and the league agreed. That was a great call by my HL, Mark Hittner.

Personally, I like the look of the new pants, and they were much warmer.

Take care,

Ed

I still believe that all plays that are challenged and reviewed should be done by a off field ref. The Price completion was a blown call, and to be honest too often the ref has too much impact on the outcome of the game by blowing calls like that. I can guarentee that had it been the Pats, he would have called it a reception. The NFL instructs the refs to do what is feasible to make sure certain teams win when possible.

I cant say I agree with you on that one.

858389[/snapback]

We can disagree on this topic, but when you look at the NFL or any professional sport as a business, a multi-billion dollar business, you have to be willing to accept that the playing fields are not level. Certain teams and certain stories just sell better, and therefore are promoted to the determint of others.

What is the big story this season? New Orleans Saints moving back to New Orleans....hmmm... why did they went from the 2nd worst team in the NFL to a top 5 team? Is it just the coach? Is it Reggie Bush and Drew Brees? Or is it more than that?

I still believe that all plays that are challenged and reviewed should be done by a off field ref.  The Price completion was a blown call, and to be honest too often the ref has too much impact on the outcome of the game by blowing calls like that.  I can guarentee that had it been the Pats, he would have called it a reception.  The NFL instructs the refs to do what is feasible to make sure certain teams win when possible.

858372[/snapback]

I think that is the best way to put it. Teams operate under a very slight different set of rules. And you are absolutely correct in stating that had that been McCardell catching that ball along the sideline on Sunday, it would have been ruled a force out.

I think that is the best way to put it. Teams operate under a very slight different set of rules. And you are absolutely correct in stating that had that been McCardell catching that ball along the sideline on Sunday, it would have been ruled a force out.

858671[/snapback]

Personally I thought he was pushed just enough to make it a catch with a push out.....just my 2 cents....

Gotta say I like the guy for having the balls to admit he made a mistake and actually respond to a fans email.

What is the big story this season?  New Orleans Saints moving back to New Orleans....hmmm... why did they went from the 2nd worst team in the NFL to a top 5 team?  Is it just the coach?  Is it Reggie Bush and Drew Brees?  Or is it more than that?

858463[/snapback]

Were they also a great story in 2000 when they came out of nowhere to win the division in Haslett's first year?

Well, let's see about those Saints:

They went from having one of the worst QBs in the league (Aaron Brooks) to one of the best.

They went from having a terrible coach to a successful one.

They added the most touted rookie running back in the past decade

They got freakishly lucky with Marques Colston, who is playing like a top wide receiver.

8-4 is only three more wins than the Bills have anyway, and if we played Tampa twice instead of New England twice, we'd be most of the way there. Also factor in a substandard Carolina team, a struggling Falcons, and there's no conspiracy here.

Maybe you can make a case that the NFL persuaded the Texans to pass on Bush. Maybe.