Colt McCoy

Chilly

My fears about Colt all came to a head this week. Throughout the season he's been throwing into double and triple coverage, and the WRs were making plays to prevent it (as well as the defenses not being good enough to capitalize).

Today, Colt got lucky no longer.

He probably should have thrown even more picks in this ballgame. He was consistently missing open receivers and throwing into well covered ones. He was locking onto receivers, and doesn't ever seem to time passes right. He's either a bit early or a bit late.

Sorry Colt, but I hope that unless you have an off season where you learn a ton about the game, I do not want you as the Texas QB next year.

This year both Jevan Snead and Colt McCoy showed me that they weren't ready to be starters at Texas. Hopefully one of our apparently two five-star QB recruits this off season will win the job.

Smokin, Bart, et al - this is why I've been skeptical all season. It finally bit him in the ass today.

My fears about Colt all came to a head this week.  Throughout the season he's been throwing into double and triple coverage, and the WRs were making plays to prevent it (as well as the defenses not being good enough to capitalize).

Today, Colt got lucky no longer.

He probably should have thrown even more picks in this ballgame.  He was consistently missing open receivers and throwing into well covered ones.  He was locking onto receivers, and doesn't ever seem to time passes right.  He's either a bit early or a bit late.

Sorry Colt, but I hope that unless you have an off season where you learn a ton about the game, I do not want you as the Texas QB next year.

This year both Jevan Snead and Colt McCoy showed me that they weren't ready to be starters at Texas.  Hopefully one of our apparently two five-star QB recruits this off season will win the job.

Smokin, Bart, et al - this is why I've been skeptical all season.  It finally bit him in the ass today.

847205[/snapback]

Yeah, you were reserved all season for the most part. I had my doubts about him, but I did catch a little of his work, and about 9 games into the season, he had better numbers than Brady Quinn.

I thought maybe he had turned a corner, but I obviously haven't seen him nearly enough to know much. It's funny that last week, Texas' defense forgot to show up and then today their offense bailed too. I think maybe that loss was just an emotional drain on everyone involved. Plus, any possibility that McCoy's shoulder injury was a factor today?

Texas wasn't the team the polls thought they were. Just like ND, they have been a bit of a disappointment. I really think that if they didn't win the championship last year, they would have started the season in the 5-8 range. But Tejas recruits just about better than anyone so if Mack can figure out a way to win without the most electric college QB since Vick, then they will be back in it next year.

I thought maybe he had turned a corner, but I obviously haven't seen him nearly enough to know much.  It's funny that last week, Texas' defense forgot to show up and then today their offense bailed too.  I think maybe that loss was just an emotional drain on everyone involved.  Plus, any possibility that McCoy's shoulder injury was a factor today?

Its possible that his shoulder injury was a factor. There were some throws where I thought it was - he under threw a few receivers that he should have hit. Though everyone that I saw the game with, and even people who had disagreed with me about Colt, were disappointed in his decision making today.

Texas wasn't the team the polls thought they were.  Just like ND, they have been a bit of a disappointment.  I really think that if they didn't win the championship last year, they would have started the season in the 5-8 range.  But Tejas recruits just about better than anyone so if Mack can figure out a way to win without the most electric college QB since Vick, then they will be back in it next year.

847210[/snapback]

I think that there were a couple different reasons why this happened. First, the secondary has been banged up all season. It really showed in the Kansas State loss (not to mention that our best CB, Aaron Ross, got juked out of his socks half the game).

The thing thats surprised me the most about this team though was the offense. The whole scheme is terrible. We throw lots of one-yard routes and bubble screens which really got nothing.

I had an issue with Greg Davis, our OC, back before Vince. I thought he did a good job designing an offense for Vince, but I don't like what he's doing around Colt.

He's obsessed with beating teams with speed. It worked with Vince, because if nothing was there he could take off up the middle. We also ran up the middle, with the *same* RBs we have this year, and kept the defenses honest.

If you watch our games this year, we don't run up the middle. We just don't. We run to the outsides, and if we do try to run up the middle, always bounce it to the outside. The passing plays are mostly to the outside, and we hardly ever send anyone over the middle. They rely on beating WRs on outside routes, or throwing a 1-yard or LOS pass which hopes the WR can beat a CB and pick up a few yards.

The other thing that really annoys me is when we roll Colt out. He doesn't set his feet at all and throws off his back foot, and they are hardly ever great passes. He's a pocket passer and we try running him / rolling him out. It doesn't work.

Yes, I know Texas scored a lot of points this year overall. However, lets look at the Offenses' production against the better teams on the schedule:

Ohio State - 7

Oklahoma - 28

Nebraska - 20

A&M - 7

Not great. In those four games, against teams with decent defenses, Texas averaged just over 15 points. For a team which usually wins by being balanced - that isn't gonna get it done.

That's a great assessment and I completely agree about running up the middle. Taking it up the gut is the best thing a team built for speed can do. If you force a defense to be honest about defending the middle runs, then the sidelines open up for those sweeps, options and quick passes.

What is your opinion of Mack Brown? I have always thought he has held Texas back and has cost them at least one National Championship (Applewhite's senior year). My best friend from ND was from Texas and he and his boys hated Brown too. I think he is a great recruiter and the state has some phenomenal athletes, but I think they have grossly underachieved over the last 5+ years with the amount of talent on both sides of the ball. I know that seems strange since I'd bet they have won at least 8-9 games every year since he has been there, but that's how I feel.

I remember a few years ago during OU's heyday when after another serious beatdown in that rivalry, one of the Texas players said that it seemed like OU's players were better in all aspects of the game. That just shouldn't be the case with the level of talent that signs up at Austin each spring.

Honestly, you don't get a coach like Mack that often, and I don't mind him. He really helped bring Texas back after Mackovic, and I'm really freaking glad we didn't get Gary Barnett.

Mack didn't do a great job at hiring coordinators. I was really, really glad when a few years ago our DC resigned. After that we picked up Greg Robinson who was a big upgrade, and now we have Gene Chizik running the show (who I think is just awesome).

Greg Davis is still a holdover from those times. Mack likes him, but he doesn't do a good job with the offense. Unfortunately, I doubt Mack will fire GD so we're stuck with him.

My impression is that Mack is pretty hands-off with both sides of the ball, and leaves it up to the coordinators. Especially on defense, you can tell that the defense picks up the coordinator's direction. Robinson and Chizik both had different effects on the defenses which were very visible.

If you fire Mack though, who do you get? You're taking a chance. You know what you get with Mack - usually 10 win seasons with a shot at the Conference or National Championship every year. I'd much prefer that over a different coach. Larry Coker is a perfect example.

I do agree that they've probably underachieved under Mack, but I could think of a lot worse people to be stuck with. If Greg Davis ever resigns or gets fired, I think Mack will show that he's very good at running a program, and hopefully that'll improve our offense as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.