QB is not on top of the 'fix it' list

rocketbills

Good points here.

I think there is just a fine line between being patient and just dragging it out.

With Rob Johnson, we dragged it out and we are still paying the price.

This situation is eeerily similar. Now i don't have the stats and numbers and what not to back this up. But This feels so much like Rob Johnson all over again to me.

Its just how i feel. Don't blast me for that. I'm allowed to have my opinion.

It feels like that because johnson was always just good enough to keep our hopes alive. many flashes of brilliance with him. JP was decent in the early season but he has just been horrid the last few weeks. So I have taken my deep breath and the chill pill you prescribed and I still have grave doubts about whether or not JP will be able to make it in Buffalo. That is all i kept hearing with RJ. Be patient ..

JP has to perform, and he has to perform now, or he won't finish the season.

Sorry, that is just how i feel. I truly truly hope he proves me wrong over the course of the next 3/4 weeks. But at some point, there has to be accountability.

826222[/snapback]

Hmmm...I dont know...

RJ's 1st 18 Starts in Buffalo saw him go 267 of 447 (59.7%) for 3333 yards, 22 TD's and 10 INT's...He also Rushed 73 times in that span for 505 Yards and 2 Rushing TD's...RJ got hurt a lot and Sacked a lot (79 times in those first 18 Starts)...Somewhere along the line towards the end of those 18 Starts He seemed to snap...And he really fell off in his next 8 starts in Buffalo...

JP has now Started 16 Games for The Bills...He's 243 of 440 (55.2%) for 2755 Yards, 15 TD's and 14 INT's...JP's Rushed 50 times for 232 Yards and a TD in his 16 Starts...JP has been Sacked 52 times in that span...

Now I'm not saying RJ>JP...Not at all...JP could certainly turn out to be a MUCH better NFL QB in the long run...But RJ showed a spark early on in His NFL Career that JP has yet to reach...Consider the fact that RJ's QB Rating was well over 100 through his 1st 8 Starts in Buffalo (and maybe a bit longer...did not look at the individual Game stats in Starts 9 and on) and I'm not sure how these two Careers compare in the early stages...

It does not feel the same to Me at all...RJ had competition at QB...JP has none...The Bills as a Team Overall were MUCH better in RJ's 1st 18 Starts then they have been in JP's 1st 16...MUCH better...I don't feel whatsoever that JP's Buffalo stay is being dragged out because I don't feel there are any alternatives on the Roster currently...Maybe if things don't improve for JP by this time next Year it will seem a bit more similar to the RJ Years...But not yet for Me... :P

"Feeling like Rob Johnson" is like not drafting an O-Lineman high next year because it "feels like Mike Williams". We can certainly learn from some comparisons to RJ, but this is a different player on a different team and different circumstances.

Brett Favre's numbers and talents were pretty similar to RJ through the first 16 games or so. And we know how different those two turned out. I think JP has the physical tools and mental toughness to become a very good QB. He needs to develop the decision making and precision, and do so fairly quickly, because that is what always separates good QBs from bad QBs. Whether RJ progressed on those attributes or not does not impact whether JP will.

JP will have more experience and a better line if he is our opening day starter in 2007. If he progresses with decision making and precision throughout this year (not play to play or game to game, but the general trend on the year) he has an excellent chance of developing into a good QB. If he stalls completely then we might have to choose another direction this offseason. But I'm already impressed with his <50% to >60% completion percentage progress despite his month of struggles, and think we could see a lot more progress in the next 8 games and feel pretty good about using our resources this offseason to improve the lines and not the QB position.

Good posts.

To me the jury is definitely still out big time.

And what the Bills have to do in the offseason is get some competition in here next season whether that be a 1st or 2nd pick or a veteran FA. I'm not concerned about how JP will be "looking over his shoulder" he is a professional athlete and that just goes with the territory. If he can't handle that mentally .. then he ain't nfl material. Period. And back to the oline discussion. The Cowboys offensive line was branded as horrible at the beginning of the season .. with drew at qb.

I haven't heard that argument the last couple of weeks.

obviously the cowboys have better talent than the bills and i know the Bills have a bad offensive line. But ... a good quarterback (especially a mobile one like JP) should make a bad offensive line look better than they are. Instead he makes them looks worse. The point is that Bills offensive line is bad .. but that doesnt take JP off the hook for bad performances... not even a little bit.

That all being said .. i have liked what I have seen from him at times.

I want him to suceed very badly. But in my opinion he hasn't shown me enough.

Not even close. But i think it is reasonable to have him be the opening day starter next year with some reasonable competition. And if he doesnt show improvement we pull the plug on this experiment and dont look back.

"Feeling like Rob Johnson" is like not drafting an O-Lineman high next year because it "feels like Mike Williams".  We can certainly learn from some comparisons to RJ, but this is a different player on a different team and different circumstances. 

Brett Favre's numbers and talents were pretty similar to RJ through the first 16 games or so.  And we know how different those two turned out.  I think JP has the physical tools and mental toughness to become a very good QB.  He needs to develop the decision making and precision, and do so fairly quickly, because that is what always separates good QBs from bad QBs.  Whether RJ progressed on those attributes or not does not impact whether JP will.

JP will have more experience and a better line if he is our opening day starter in 2007.  If he progresses with decision making and precision throughout this year (not play to play or game to game, but the general trend on the year) he has an excellent chance of developing into a good QB.  If he stalls completely then we might have to choose another direction this offseason.  But I'm already impressed with his <50% to >60% completion percentage progress despite his month of struggles, and think we could see a lot more progress in the next 8 games and feel pretty good about using our resources this offseason to improve the lines and not the QB position.

826289[/snapback]