Marv's "high motor, high character ...

this is the problem with the simplified theory that all you need is guys who try hard and don't get into trouble off the field.

marv should have known better, the 4x AFC champion bills had plenty of ego-maniacs who got into trouble, like:

bruce smith: suspended for substance abuse

thurman thomas: alcoholic

jim kelly: perrenial whiner calling out his team mates whenever he made a mistake

daryl tally: fighting w/ magic johnson's bodyguard the night before a super bowl

leonard smith: dirtiest strong safety in the league at the time

i'm sure there are plenty others i have forgotten.

who cares if you give it 110% ever down when you don't have the talent to be in this league in the first place?

817007[/snapback]

Nothing really to add except to say that I am sick of hearing "non-stop motor" we had nothing but "non-stop motor" guys under Gregggg, Mularkey and have plenty on the current Bills roster. I do miss the days where we had that "gets by on his athleticism, takes a few plays off, doesn't practice very hard" guy named Bruce Smith.

I know we need more than a year to rebuild this team but they have to show some signs of improvement, I won't be happy with "at least Donahoe is gone" much longer. Last draft we focused on the defense...ok not much improvement there but we do have a lot of rookies. Next year's draft will be very revealing, if we draft more safeties or some running backs and WRs we're in trouble. If we draft some hard working offensive linemen with our top draft picks and don't describe them as non-stop motor types there may be hope for the future.

Go Sabres!

this is the problem with the simplified theory that all you need is guys who try hard and don't get into trouble off the field.

marv should have known better, the 4x AFC champion bills had plenty of ego-maniacs who got into trouble, like:

bruce smith: suspended for substance abuse

thurman thomas: alcoholic

jim kelly: perrenial whiner calling out his team mates whenever he made a mistake

daryl tally: fighting w/ magic johnson's bodyguard the night before a super bowl

leonard smith: dirtiest strong safety in the league at the time

i'm sure there are plenty others i have forgotten.

who cares if you give it 110% ever down when you don't have the talent to be in this league in the first place?

817007[/snapback]

Being a high character player isn't about being an alter boy. It's about wanting to win. Players who will willing to do the extras and who understand what it means to be a team. Players that are interested in more than the money.

Besides, I'm not sure you're list shows lack of character. Bruce Smith had troubles with drugs and he got suspended. That was the only time, so if he beat a drug addiction that, to me, shows a lot of character. He also had a problem with food when he first got here and was a balloon after his first year. He could have just taken the checks, like Mike Williams, but instead lost all his fat. Going from a tub of jello to a man with practically super-human strength shows a lot of character.

Thurman Thomas is an alcoholic. I think most guys would have kept that to themselves. Thurman declared publically he had a problem. To me, that takes a lot of guts.

I don't see how Jim Kelly showing leadership is considered whinning in your eyes. I'm kind of offended your feel that the heart and soul of the great Bills teams, Daryll Talley, has no character. Plus, I think Leonard Smith had a mean streak but I'm don't remember him purposely trying to other hurt players.

Not to pick on you, but how do your expect any GM to rebuild a team in the shambles TD left it in just his first year? 

Marv's approach as a HC when he joined the Bills was to take the first year to evaluate what he had, and then start rebuilding the team with Polian in year 2.  I suspect he'll go about his GM responsibilities the same way. 

IMO, anyone that thinks this mess can be fixed in less tha a year is employing wishful thinking.

817058[/snapback]

Your absolutly right,although i think Marv,passes on Leinhart/Cutler,cause he didnt know much about Losman.I think its safe to say a Qb will be in Marvs sights this off season

If you want to win games you need winners put into winning positions by winning coaches to win games.

Just go get, like, 50 of those kind of guys. Its not brain science.

I'm gonna write a book.

821347[/snapback]

I'm with ya till we get to the part about winning coaches. How do we win coaches? Marv does a Weekend in Vegas?

I say we get those kids from MIT to help us win some coaches. Those guys had a system... maybe that's gonna be in your book?