Let's face it: RW said it best

Tolstoy

Well, ok....I love the Sabres and the Bills, but let's put an end to the comparisons right now.

The Sabres are winning because they have *the right talent* for the way the new NHL rules were laid out. They use their speed and quickness to out-skate the other team's defense, kill penalties, and score when given the man advantage. Guys like Briere, Drury, Afinogenov, Roy, Campbell, and Numminen are fast and (more importantly) quick to the puck. In addition, none of these players are huge stars and none of them really became huge stars after last year's playoff run. I'll guarantee you that if anyone wants to look at the faces of the NHL, none of the Sabres will be on that list.

The NFL hasn't yet changed the rules so that the Bills (or anyone else) can take advantage with the personnel they have. It's all about being able to run and stop the run...and the Bills don't have the OL or DL to do either consistently. I like Aaron Schobel, but opposing teams can simply key in on him to stop the entire Bills' pash rush. Losing *both* Pat Williams and Sam Adams (thanks, TD  :doh:) killed the Bills chances of stopping the run for the next few years. The OL issues have been well-documented, also (can someone PLEASE protect the QB?!??!?).

That's why the Sabres are winning and the Bills are losing. We can't just take the Sabres blueprint and apply it to the Bills....it's just not that simple.

809821[/snapback]

Actually, it is that simple. The point of the comparison is this: the Sabres are winning because they have better talent then the teams they are playing. It is readily apparent from watching them play. The Bills are losing...not because of coaching, or injuries, or bad decisions on the part of players, but because they do not have better talent than the teams they are facing. So enough with the hand-wringing--"oh, if only that ball hadn't bounced that way, and if only this player hadn't gone down to injury, and if only the coach hadn't called that play." When you have the talent, winning comes easily. When you don't, it is very difficult.

So, all those of you who don't like the reference to the Sabres. Get over it. The point is this: see how easy it is to win when you have enough talent. Watch the Sabres, then you will know what the rest of us are talking about.

The Bills need better talent. The coach knows it, the GM knows it, and the owner knows it. How does it escape the rest of us? Each week we need to hope that talent emerges: Losman, Parish, Everett, Whitner, Simpson, etc. If they emerge, they become foundations for the future. If they don't, it makes it that much more difficult to build a winning team next year.

Having said that, I hope they crush the Patriots. I live in Patsy country, and I can't stand another week of putrid Patsy patting.

Go Bills.