I Question the Game Plan for This One

JDG

I'm normally the last person to question a team's playcalling.... playcalling is like driving - 90% of people think that they are above average drivers and that their team's playcalling is below average. Nevertheless, this one left me scratching my head.

In two road games this season, the Bills nearly stole a win in New England and got a win in Miami. Faced with our toughest road test yet, I would have expected a similar gameplan - lots of running, and lots of conservative, controlled passing. I expected to see a lot of the WR screens, swing passes, and quick slants that had dominated our game plan even in the subsequent two home games.

Instead, those controlled WR passes were almost absent today. I don't recall any of the designed plays to get the ball into Parrish's hands. Early on, it was drop back and pass almost all the time and very little McGahee. Even if the Bears were anticipating that - I just think that that gameplan is too sensible to abandon, especially with a subpar QB in a very tough road environment.

Losman was pretty horrible today, those INT's make you completely shake your head, but I can't criticize him too much, because I definitely don't feel that the coaches set him up to succeeed today.

JDG

I'm normally the last person to question a team's playcalling....  playcalling is like driving - 90% of people think that they are above average drivers and that their team's playcalling is below average.  Nevertheless, this one left me scratching my head.

In two road games this season, the Bills nearly stole a win in New England and got a win in Miami.    Faced with our toughest road test yet, I would have expected a similar gameplan - lots of running, and lots of conservative, controlled passing.  I expected to see a lot of the WR screens, swing passes, and quick slants that had dominated our game plan even in the subsequent two home games.

Instead, those controlled WR passes were almost absent today.  I don't recall any of the designed plays to get the ball into Parrish's hands.  Early on, it was drop back and pass almost all the time and very little McGahee.  Even if the Bears were anticipating that - I just think that that gameplan is too sensible to abandon, especially with a subpar QB in a very tough road environment. 

Losman was pretty horrible today, those INT's make you completely shake your head, but I can't criticize him too much, because I definitely don't feel that the coaches set him up to succeeed today.

JDG

799458[/snapback]

For the first time in a while i agree with you JDG. The team as a whole didn't execute and that reflects poorly on Dick. Lovie definitely outcoached Dick today (insert perverted joke here).

I'm normally the last person to question a team's playcalling....  playcalling is like driving - 90% of people think that they are above average drivers and that their team's playcalling is below average. 

799458[/snapback]

That's very true. I think it's tough to evaluate the playcalling when 13-0 was really the last possession in which the game wasn't out of control though. It seemed clear to me very early on that the running game was going nowhere. People talk about attempts being more important than yardage but when your defense is playing like ours did today instead of shutting down the Dolphins/Vikings that's not as much true. I think you can throw on the Bears if the protection is ok (big 'if' but it was there for the most part) but the QB&WR's and most importantly our defense just didn't get it done.