Predictions after 1/4 of the season

Tasker

So everyone had all kinds of different ideas in the preseason about how the year would go game by game. Now that we are 1/4 of the way through and it is becoming clearer how good each team is, including our own, I was curious to see what people thought about expectations for the rest of the season:

Conventional wisdom would probably have:

@CHI L (2-3) (+12)

@DET W (3-3) (-6)

NE L (3-4) (+1)

GB W (4-4) (-2)

@IND L (4-5) (+1)

@HOU W (5-5) (+5)

JAX L (5-6) (0)

SD L (5-7) (+8)

@NYJ L (5-8) (+12)

MIA W (6-8) (-15)

TEN W (7-8) (-2)

@BAL L (7-9) (+13)

The second number in parentheses is the change in the ESPN Power Rankings from preseason until now. Pretty useless as a whole, but giving a general idea of whether more of our schedule is better than people thought or worse. Somewhat surprisingly our opponents as a whole seem better than expected (other than Miami), meaning our schedule is actually probably more difficult than people had thought going in.

So based on what I'm listing as the conventional wisdom we would expect 7-9 without any real stretches.

A couple of the losses seem pretty likely at this point (@CHI, @IND, @BAL) while thee of the wins seem pretty likely (@DET, GB, TEN, three of the bottom five teams in the league at this point). That leaves six more playable games that could swing either way.

I think this team is improving and growing and on the right path. I think that we can win against JAX and @NYJ from the above to have a decent shot at 9-7, which in my mind would be a huge accomplishment given how young this team is. Having Spikes come back soon and make a difference could give us a boost.

I'd be interested in what other people think, and how their opinions have changed from the preseason.

We wont be an under-dog to NE at home ... it will probably be -1, or -2 Buffalo ...

edit: im a moron and didnt read the paragraph explaining that the second paranthesis is the ESPN number

My prediction ... 10-6

Dont forget that if Baltimore keeps winning they will be playing all backups against us in the last game.

Yeah, my expectation also is Baltimore resting against us. But given that the last time that happened it didn't go too well (Pittsburgh), I figured it was too soon to mention, and they would have to be favored by conventional wisdom at this point.

JAX L (5-6)     (0)

SD L (5-7)     (+8)

@NYJ L (5-8)    (+12)

797861[/snapback]

This three game stretch is the wildcard for the season, IMO. I could see two "upsets" (per the conventional wisdom) if the team really continues to play sound ball control football.

This three game stretch is the wildcard for the season, IMO.  I could see two "upsets" (per the conventional wisdom) if the team really continues to play sound ball control football.

797895[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd agree, NYJ and Jax both have a chance to lose vs us.

They beat Chicago, lose to Detroit, and do better than expected through the Jax, SD, NYJ stretch. The last game win puts them in a playoff tiebreaker. Conference wins (New England at home anyone ?) tell the tale. That's football.

We wont be an under-dog to NE at home ... it will probably be -1, or -2 Buffalo ...

edit: im a moron and didnt read the paragraph explaining that the second paranthesis is the ESPN number

My prediction ... 10-6

Dont forget that if Baltimore keeps winning they will be playing all backups against us in the last game.

797880[/snapback]

I'll bet you $5,000 NE will be favored vs. us.