Turnovers.

and last. 3 of 4 games without a turnover is HUGE. If they can keep up that kind of pace, it's going to be a VERY interesting season. I have to think that's coaching and the maturation of JP. Thoughts? Is this a sustainable thing?

792506[/snapback]

I notice the announcers can't help themselves anticipating a JP Losman turnover every time the poor guy breaks a huddle. He could go the rest of the season withouth a turnover and they'd talk about him being turnover prone right through the playoffs. I'm impressed with the offense so far and I think they'll have a few real breakout games soon. All the ingredients are there and sooner or later it will come together in a great offensive display. Against Chicago would be nice...

I notice the announcers can't help themselves anticipating a JP Losman turnover every time the poor guy breaks a huddle.  He could go the rest of the season withouth a turnover and they'd talk about him being turnover prone right through the playoffs.  I'm impressed with the offense so far and I think they'll have a few real breakout games soon.  All the ingredients are there and sooner or later it will come together in a great offensive display.  Against Chicago would be nice...

792514[/snapback]

Eff em. That's the attitude I'm taking WRT the media this season. There's NO WAY they're going to give this team kudos. Not in a MILLION years. You know what? I like it that way. I like that this team of kids will get to play with piss and vinegar in the veins. I like that the team is a consistent underdog. The Bills ALWAYS seem to play better when they're not expected to do anything.

I agree.....

However.......

The biggest difference in my eyes between last year and this year is Steve Fairchild.

He understands what he has to work with and designs his offense around that.

With that being said we are now seeing what JP Losman has to offer.

I notice the announcers can't help themselves anticipating a JP Losman turnover every time the poor guy breaks a huddle.  He could go the rest of the season withouth a turnover and they'd talk about him being turnover prone right through the playoffs.  I'm impressed with the offense so far and I think they'll have a few real breakout games soon.  All the ingredients are there and sooner or later it will come together in a great offensive display.  Against Chicago would be nice...

792514[/snapback]

In some ways I think folks are being overly sensitive to the media on this issue. I agree that the media and announcers do suck (I have always been an advocate of the nets renewing their experimentation with the announcerless game they tried in the 70s, the advent of the numerous game info crawls which cover the screen and the availability of the internet to supplement the game makes an announcerless game a proposition which could meet many of the challenges posed by that experiment).

However, a couple of factoids which make the concern about JP being turnover prone (for example he set a record at Tulane for having few INTs were in fact shared with us by the announcers.

The networks generally have a script for the games which they lay out and try to follow (so and so is favored, so and so team has a turnover problem etc), This is not a bad thing as it provides viewers with insights which the announcers can get from talking to the teams ahead of time as to which plays to look for and whether their plans are working.

However, many announcers take this way to far and try to pretend that these insights were not gained through somebody spoon feeding thme info but pretending that these are observations that they made themselves from studiously watching all the gamefilms and their "superior" foiotball knowledge.

Some actually understand the game well and do this analysis like Jaws (and even he can be totally wrong) bu others like Theismann are complete pretenders who at best state the obvious like it is some new idea. Even worse, he simply gets it wrong quite a bit.

The worst cases are those announcers who try to stick to their script about how the game is going despite reality being contrary to their descriptions. They try and try to explain each event which goes contrary to their predictions as somehow supporting their script, being a bad bounce, or somehow unexplainable. Even worse, when they would simply be on another planet to try and stick to their script, they somehow do a 180 and seem to claim they saw it coming all the time.

Dan Dierdorf is one of the worst at this practice.

However, the departure from reality is helped a long a bit by us Bills partisans being overly sensitive to potential slights against our team. JP really has had a tendency to make some bad fumbles in some games (a factoid Jauron pointed out in one pre-season game where he said that the INTs simply happen from time to time but the fumbles when sacked on JP's part were due to him not being careful enough with the ball and he was gonna work on it) and the media has not made a distinction which might be reasonably mad that he has exercised good judgment in choosing whether to make a pass, but when he sometimes tries to hard to wait for the big play and they he can give up a bad fumble on a sack.

Its not a problem I am worried about at this point, but in general a lot better analysis could be done.