What about the Defense?

BoondckCL

With this game in New England there were a couple of things that impressed me on defense. For example, Donte Whitner's interception, that despite the bad call turned the momentum in Buffalo's favor, if even for a little while (1 drive that we got screwed on). The first play of the season from scrimmage. A great play by Takeo to gain the upper hand in the first half.

But the main problem is the RUN DEFENSE. Yes we have the speed on defense, but it doesn't make sense to have the speed on the d-line when all they are using that speed for is chasing down the runningbacks after they blow past them.

We were prettu much dominated in the trecnches today when it came to the running game, and i am growing increasingly concerned with our defensive line and hoping that we do not have Jeff Wright's.

I think what contributed to the problem in the running game was the fact that linebacker's were not stepping up to fill the holes and slam Maroney for only short gains. Instead we had the linebacker's dipping back into zone coverage so that we could ensure that we took Brady out of the game, and forced them to beat us on the ground. My did they do it.

If you are going to have your linebacker's in zone coverage the majority of the game, than you have to be certain that your defensive linemen can handle the rushing surge from the opposing offense and still make plays. If not, you are going to see a lot of what happened today throughout the season. It boils down to the coaching staff being a little bit too over confident with their defensive line, and under estimating the Patriots offensive line.

Jauron probably should have made adjustments at half time so that you had Angelo Crowell or London Fletcher staying in to stop the run, and having the other's cover tight ends. But if they were confident enough in Whitner's abilities, they would have had him covering the tight ends, and his lack of size does not help him in this field.

The loss of Takeo hit us hard today in the passing and rushing game. With Takeo's loss to injury, we were forced to have Angelo Crowell covering tight ends in pass coverage. That is not his particular field of expertise.

Good game in all, Defense kept us in the game with turnovers and the offense did what they could to keep us in the game. In the end, a couple of faulty calls by the refs came back to bite us in the ass.

I have no doubt that this team will blossum throughout the season, and by next year will be in a position to make a legitamate playoff run from the first game of the season.

With this game in New England there were a couple of things that impressed me on defense. For example, Donte Whitner's interception, that despite the bad call turned the momentum in Buffalo's favor, if even for a little while (1 drive that we got screwed on). The first play of the season from scrimmage. A great play by Takeo to gain the upper hand in the first half.

But the main problem is the RUN DEFENSE. Yes we have the speed on defense, but it doesn't make sense to have the speed on the d-line when all they are using that speed for is chasing down the runningbacks after they blow past them.

We were prettu much dominated in the trecnches today when it came to the running game, and i am growing increasingly concerned with our defensive line and hoping that we do not have Jeff Wright's.

I think what contributed to the problem in the running game was the fact that linebacker's were not stepping up to fill the holes and slam Maroney for only short gains. Instead we had the linebacker's dipping back into zone coverage so that we could ensure that we took Brady out of the game, and forced them to beat us on the ground. My did they do it.

If you are going to have your linebacker's in zone coverage the majority of the game, than you have to be certain that your defensive linemen can handle the rushing surge from the opposing offense and still make plays. If not, you are going to see a lot of what happened today throughout the season. It boils down to the coaching staff being a little bit too over confident with their defensive line, and under estimating the Patriots offensive line.

Jauron probably should have made adjustments at half time so that you had Angelo Crowell or London Fletcher staying in to stop the run, and having the other's cover tight ends. But if they were confident enough in Whitner's abilities, they would have had him covering the tight ends, and his lack of size does not help him in this field.

The loss of Takeo hit us hard today in the passing and rushing game. With Takeo's loss to injury, we were forced to have Angelo Crowell covering tight ends in pass coverage. That is not his particular field of expertise.

Good game in all, Defense kept us in the game with turnovers and the offense did what they could to keep us in the game. In the end, a couple of faulty calls by the refs came back to bite us in the ass.

I have no doubt that this team will blossum throughout the season, and by next year will be in a position to make a legitamate playoff run from the first game of the season.

768009[/snapback]

What hurt the run D was that the D Line gave running lanes by rushing upfield and not making any plays and running themselves out of the play.

What hurt the run D was that the D Line gave running lanes by rushing upfield and not making any plays and running themselves out of the play.

768036[/snapback]

I noticed that on a couple of plays, but i still think a lot of blame falls on the linebacker's not filling the gaps. D linemen are very seldom expected to make the plays against the run, and teams instead expect to have linebacker's make plays. That was not happening today.