My D-Line thoughts

I believe Tim Anderson is the most important player on our defense this year.

I see a lot of love here for Kyle Williams, and most think Anderson is terrible. From what I’ve seen in the preseason Kyle seems to have the ability to make the big play, but he also just gets blown away sometimes. On several occasions I have seen Kyle get pushed out of the hole like he is on wheels.

I have liked what I have seen out of Anderson. He seems to be playing with a lot of fire this year, and he rarely gives up any ground. We need this guy to come up big in the middle this year.

All of our other tackles seem to be penetrators, and this is good for the pass defense but I’m sick of seeing running backs rip of big chunks of yardage right up the middle. I hate seeing a d-linemen make a tackle ten yards up the field. I guess I’m spoiled from the times of big Ted and fat pat when no one ran up the middle. So far I am not impressed with McCargo. I think he has a lot of work to do on his technique. While Kyle seems to always play low John seems to always be standing straight up.

Good play from the d-line will make the rest of the defense look better. Nate will once again be “lockdown” if he doesn’t have to cover for 5 plus seconds.

I have been very impressed with the d-ends this preseason. We have 4 strong players at that position; Powell looks to be a good pick-up.

Thoughts?

I believe Tim Anderson is the most important player on our defense this year.

I see a lot of love here for Kyle Williams, and most think Anderson is terrible.  From what I’ve seen in the preseason Kyle seems to have the ability to make the big play, but he also just gets blown away sometimes.  On several occasions I have seen Kyle get pushed out of the hole like he is on wheels.

I have liked what I have seen out of Anderson.  He seems to be playing with a lot of fire this year, and he rarely gives up any ground.  We need this guy to come up big in the middle this year. 

All of our other tackles seem to be penetrators, and this is good for the pass defense but I’m sick of seeing running backs rip of big chunks of yardage right up the middle.  I hate seeing a d-linemen make a tackle ten yards up the field.  I guess I’m spoiled from the times of big Ted and fat pat when no one ran up the middle.  So far I am not impressed with McCargo.  I think he has a lot of work to do on his technique.  While Kyle seems to always play low John seems to always be standing straight up.

Good play from the d-line will make the rest of the defense look better.  Nate will once again be “lockdown” if he doesn’t have to cover for 5 plus seconds. 

I have been very impressed with the d-ends this preseason.  We have 4 strong players at that position; Powell looks to be a good pick-up.

Thoughts?

763168[/snapback]

It will be interesting to see how well they play against the run. Remember last season's game at Tampa? ;) It has to be better than that or this will be a long game. I think our young ends are ready to play. Triplet looks good, and I think you have picked the player(s) that we need to play well to be half way successful.

I may be in the minority but I believe we have a ways to go on the Dline. We need a DT who can stop the run(we really don't right now) and we could use a top pass rusher to add to the DE corps. We still cannot apply much pressure without blitzing, and that's the reality of it. This unit will hold the D back this year. Sorry.

I think the rotation concept does two things:

1. It takes the pressure off of each guy in terms of who is starting and who isn't and thereby builds unity. I agree that TA, and everybody, looks a lot more fired up this year. It's not TO cheese fired up - it looks real to me.(Except for Schobel's sack in the Detroit game - TKO - I think - Jumped all over him and he looked like a guy who is being jumped on by the neighbor's dog - he's gotta lighten up a bit)

2. It also allows these guys to pin their ears back because:

They don't have to worry about playing the whole game so nothing to hold back endurance wise and, #1 means that they can go all out/take more risks because they know that it won't change much, in terms of playing time, and that the guys around them are going just as hard.

As far as Anderson goes - the thing I saw was that this year he seems to be truly having fun out there. Or, at least he looks like he's ready to go and without having to worry about getting "benched" he's really got noting to lose. Obviously this can be a bad thing. But think about it - a 6'3" 304 lb man running around with nothing to lose and a smile on his face? More likely Bad Things, very Bad Things.

Every team rotates Dlinemen. This is not some new concept this year. We did it last year just like every other team. It comes down to talent which we have some to work with and develope, but we could definitley use more. Like I said, I'd like another tackle and an impact end. We aren't horrible, but this unit is the weak link on the defense.

I may be in the minority but I believe we have a ways to go on the Dline. We need a DT who can stop the run(we really don't right now) and we could use a top pass rusher to add to the DE corps. We still cannot apply much pressure without blitzing, and that's the reality of it. This unit will hold the D back this year. Sorry.

763423[/snapback]

I'm with you there man. I haven't seen that this year so far. We need to contain the other RB and generate some kind of pass rush from the front four. I just don't see that happening with this personnel. I pray to God I am wrong here. The D will have to carry this team this year.

We aren't horrible, but this unit is the weak link on the defense.

763445[/snapback]

Not being horrible might be enough. I expect that crazy, young energy and gap shooting (for lack of a better term) should get them some 2nd an 12's, 3'rd and 8's, and give them a chance to get off the field. I won't miss big Sam catching blockers a yard off the line of scrimmage.

If the rotation can hang for four quarters it might be fun weekend.