Apologies from the Pac 10

I 90

Any followers of the Pac 10 care to comment on an unsettling weekend ?

Cal lays an egg, Arizona ekes out a win at home, AZ State struggles against the Lumberjacks of Northern Arizona ?

I have been waiting for UCLA to turn the corner and take me back to the John Robinson highs of days gone by and have become the neighborhood pain in the ass about the "east coast bias" in both basketball and football rankings. Might be a long season...

Any followers of the Pac 10 care to comment on an unsettling weekend ?

Cal lays an egg, Arizona ekes out a win at home, AZ State struggles against the Lumberjacks of Northern Arizona ?

I have been waiting for UCLA to turn the corner and take me back to the John Robinson highs of days gone by and have become the neighborhood pain in the ass about the "east coast bias" in both basketball and football rankings. Might be a long season...

761743[/snapback]

The conference, top to bottom, is pretty weak. There's no disputing that.

I think Cal is better than they showed. Everyone is thinking of Tennessee as the 5-6 team from last year, but they are a lot better than that. Oregon will play everyone tough like usual. USC still has the most talent and raw athleticism in the league. UCLA lost too much offense, Arizona State won't beat any big-time teams. The rest- Arizona, Stanford, Washington, Washington St, and Oregon St are also-rans. Those five will beat up on each other at the bottom of the conference.

It seems strange but realistic, that even with an offense that returns their starting WR's and not much else, USC could run the table and find themselves in the national title picture. If Cal is overhyped, USC has to get by Notre Dame in L.A. to go undefeated. Not easy, but not out of the question.

The conference, top to bottom, is pretty weak.  There's no disputing that.

I think Cal is better than they showed.  Everyone is thinking of Tennessee as the 5-6 team from last year, but they are a lot better than that.  Oregon will play everyone tough like usual.  USC still has the most talent and raw athleticism in the league.  UCLA lost too much offense, Arizona State won't beat any big-time teams.  The rest- Arizona, Stanford, Washington, Washington St, and Oregon St are also-rans.

761786[/snapback]

Well reasoned; that is the story.

Being delusional, it just guts me that Cal couldn't rise to the challenge and that brother Stoops is taking his time in putting Arizona on the map. Also can't help but feel that Dorrell is on the clock at UCLA and will deliver a big season.

The conference again provided good early entertainment value. Two heavyweight road games

(two and a half if you count Wash. St. at Auburn) and league game for no good reason. Yeah, they are a bit softer. Why they fall just short in recruiting the big and the mean remains a puzzle.

Hey Mike Riley, thanks for nothing. It's not the CFL. Every game counts.

Boise St. 42 - Oregon St. 14 ? How do you think Oregon feels now having scheduled another

mid major landmine on the road in Fresno St. ?

Oh well, still a chance for California to hold serve versus the Big Ten. Or for Arizona and Washington to shock the world against the SEC and Big Twelve.

Apologies from the Pac 10 for diminishing its reputation once again.

Hey Mike Riley, thanks for nothing. It's not the CFL. Every game counts.

Boise St. 42 - Oregon St. 14 ? How do you think Oregon feels now having scheduled another

mid major landmine on the road in Fresno St. ?

Oh well, still a chance for California to hold serve versus the Big Ten. Or for Arizona and Washington to shock the world against the SEC and Big Twelve.

Apologies from the Pac 10 for diminishing its reputation once again.

764736[/snapback]

Boise St is not a bad team, especially at their place on a weeknight on ESPN. They have big aspirations of going undefeated and busting up the BCS party. The blue field is a bit of a gimmick, but they continuously recruit good players. I think they could finish in the top half of the PAC 10. But yes, Oregon St is dogsh-t.

Big games for the conference is coming up in two weeks vs. the Big 12- Nebraska at USC and Oklahoma at Oregon. With Cal crushed by Tennessee, USC and Oregon are the pride of the conference. The PAC 10 needs both of those games to retain a little respectability.

Big games for the conference is coming up in two weeks vs. the Big 12- Nebraska at USC and Oklahoma at Oregon.  With Cal crushed by Tennessee, USC and Oregon are the pride of the conference.  The PAC 10 needs both of those games to retain a little respectability.

764816[/snapback]

I have a fondness for the BCS party crashers as much as anyone, Boise and Fresno especially, but if you're a middle of the pack major conference team, show the hell up. Riley got himself the Charger job on the strength of his O State turnaround first time through; I had reason for optimism.

The Big Ten doesn't visit top Mac schools too often. Maybe the Pac 10 oughta' follow suit and duck and cover.

USC and Oregon can only hold serve this (and next) weekend as favorites. I want me a bigger win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.