Somebody fill me in

dib

How have I missed this guy?  He runs like a mini-Larry Csonka.

743585[/snapback]

I spoke with Chris Brown and ALex Van Pelt when I was in Buffalo last year. Lionel Gates had popped on my radar screen during camp last year, and I wanted to know why he was constantly on the squad, but in active.

Their reply (and I am surprised Brown has not referenced this in his coverage this year) was that Mularky and the coaches really didn't feel like Gates was making the progress he should have been. He was never hitting the holes as hard as they wanted him to, was too tentative getting between blocks and didn't have the pace to take it to the edge like they wanted him to.

I think Gates emergence this training camp/preseason is a result of a few of factors:

1. He's had a year of 'coaching'/bedding in and knows what is expected of him at this level. He knows now to hit the holes hard, and not automatically bounce it to the outside where he doesn't have the speed to make the edge.

2. He's been coached differently this year to really hammer home exactly what they want him to do.

3. The coaches want something different out of the backs this year and Gates is more in that mould (just as Shaud Williams is increasingly out of favour).

Their reply (and I am surprised Brown has not referenced this in his coverage this year) was that Mularky and the coaches really didn't feel like Gates was making the progress he should have been.  He was never hitting the holes as hard as they wanted him to, was too tentative getting between blocks and didn't have the pace to take it to the edge like they wanted him to.

Gee, was that their excuse for EVERY RB last year? :(

Their reply (and I am surprised Brown has not referenced this in his coverage this year) was that Mularky and the coaches really didn't feel like Gates was making the progress he should have been. 

743590[/snapback]

There's your problem right there. Mularkey & co. He looked good in camp last year and I heard them say once "he can't block" so therefore they wouldn't play him. What a load of crap.

I REALLY don't think it was purely Mularky&Co who were the sticking point for Lionel last year. Chris Brown said to me that he still had a ways to go before he was NFL ready, and being a 7th round pick you'd expect that. I suspect that his development may have been hampered a little by the coaches, but I doubt (based on the comments made to me by people close to the Bills and with regular access to prac tise) that he'd have been ready to play last year under any coaching regime.

Um... besides the fact that he cannot block, has questionable receiving skills, no blitz recognition and cannot get the tough yard most of the time, he's a pretty good back.

743620[/snapback]

Aside from the fact that VABills doesn't know what he's talking about, Lionel Gates will make this team. As a Louisville fan, I watched him progress during his college career in spite of heavy competition from 2 other NFL-caliber backs. Bobby Petrino (who could've outcoach Mularkey's in his sleep) used Gates as the team's best short-yardage runner, best pass protection back, and one of its best receivers. In fact, the article in this week's D&C talks about his physical ability, understanding of protection, and good hands. Honestly, I think he'll be our #2 back once A-train flames out (again) and Williams gets pounded for a 3-yard loss on 3 and 2 for the 15th time.