Do not confuse criticizing the Bills' draft

After having read a lot of post that discuss the Bills' draft, I think a lot of people criticze the Bills' draft but mean the Bills' team strategy.

The Bills' strategy is to play a Tampa Bay like defense. In other words, a lot of DBs and quick DT are needed. This year's draft perfectly fits this profile.

Moreover, the draft concentrated on fixing all holes of the defensive side instead of jumping between offense and defense. In my opinion, this clear-cut focus is another very positive aspect of this year's draft; trying to fix holes on both offense and defense will result in a team that has neither an offense that is able to implement the ideas of the coaches nor a defense that can do it.

To fix the holes on offense, free agency can the used. Since the Bills now know what pieces are missing, they have an improved bargaining power compared to a situation with a "best player available draft and best available free agent".

In sum, for the first time in approximately five years I can see that the Bills have a strategy and try to implement this strategy. This might involve taking players in the draft, that other teams with different strategies might regard as too high. Therefore, the draft cannot be criticized in my opinion.

What can be criticized, however, is the Bills' strategy. For example, if one prefers run-stuffing DTs instead of quick DTs, one won't like the Bills' strategy. But this is a totally different point.

people criticize the bills picks because our first 2 picks were players who were projected to go several picks below where they were taken.

i was not happy at first since i felt the same way on saturday.

but since then i realize that both players were rising on peoples draft boards and each were the best players at their positions remaining on the board.

to be honest, i would be happier if we got the eagles draft, but its all in the past now. in 3 years we will look back and truely see how this draft was. i didnt like the McGahee pick or the Evans pick but both worked out in the end.

if the only reason people dont like our draft is because the players we selected were projected to go 10 picks after us, i can live with that. we got the players we wanted rather than trading down and settling for whoever was left over.

Guest BackInDaDay
...for the first time in approximately five years I can see that the Bills have a strategy and try to implement this strategy. This might involve taking players in the draft, that other teams with different strategies might regard as too high. Therefore, the draft cannot be criticized in my opinion.

679464[/snapback]

I agree. The DBs, the DTs and even the fast, undersized LB are good fits for Fewell's TB C-2.

I do find the OL picks made to be curious.

After seeing the FA moves made prior to the draft, and reading Fairchild's comments on his plans to use multiple WR formations to widen things up, I was under the impression we we're looking to get more agility on the O line to transform our blocking schemes and get our RB running lanes. The OG and OT we drafted are huge and scouted to be slow of foot. This contradicts what I thought Fairchild was after.

Maybe my assumptions were just wishful thinking. I'm not sure where we're going with the O-line now.