Wipe WR off your Draft Boards...

Astrobot

The Peerless and Davis signings make me re-think the draft.

While I'd prefer a guy like Baskett, Nance, or Aromashodu in the mid-rounds to give us a young, tall receiver for the Red Zone, these signings indicate it ain't gonna happen. Clements non-signing also changes the context of this draft, now 19 days away.

Here is my revised list of 11 priorities:

OT, DT, OG, S, CB, FB/RB, DE, MLB, OLB, TE, KR

I keep switching the first two, but list OT first because our offense has sucqued longer than our #2-a-year-ago defense, and because DT is deeper in this draft (at least guys we like still are around through the 3rd Round).

A key team to watch throughout the draft will be the Packers, because of similar team needs. Drafting before us in each round, they get to play spoiler (like we were to them in taking Losman!). In Round 1, will they take Ngata, AJ Hawk or Mario Williams? In Round 2, will they snatch up a Guard (Jean-Gilles), a Tackle (McNeill), or a DT (Mahelona, Watson, Wright)? Even in Round 3, Green Bay could select Davin Joseph.

In Round 1, Winston Justice OT and Bunkley DT are trade-down picks--not too far, but worth a late 3rd or early 4th to us. Haloti Ngata DT and Vernon Davis TE (and you could convince me about Huff at S) are "take 'em and run" great picks. Yeah, TE is down there for me, but you take Davis (or Mario) for the skillset and the mismatches he'd create, knowing that the depth in the draft is there for the next pick.

In Round 2, though, I think one of these 4 will be there: Max Jean-Gilles OG, Darryl Tapp DE, Jesse Mahelona DT, and (if you're concerned about your needs), Davin Joseph OG will be there and worth a trade-down.

Green Bay is a team to watch, though.