Looks like an 0-2 Start

Max997

Mularkey, while an abomination of a head coach, was nothing short of a miracle worker in Schittsburgh. Think about it: he got a Kordell Stewart-led offense to perfrom to an AFC Championship game visit. No small feat.

655799[/snapback]

Yeah, and that was pretty much erased in 2003 when the Steelers finished 6-10, thanks to Mularkey's inept offense.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because trading for a QB with a blown out knee, while dumping your starter from last season is pure genius.

Not often you can get a guy who posted 6TDs, 12 INTs, and 3 blown knee ligaments for a 2nd round pick.

As for Mularkey, I sure that Saban took one look at his masterfull playcalling in the 2nd half of the Miami travesty, and said, "I gotta have that guy on my staff."

656098[/snapback]

Sooooo, your master plan would have been to keep Gus Frerotte as the starter along with his 4 million dollar salary....pure genius as you put it. :(

Dom Capers....Mike Mularkey....Nick Saban....I really can't complain about this trio. Even as poor as the 2 new Fins coordinators have done as Head Coaches, they are proven front line coaches. Among the very best in the NFL....just my opinion.

Sooooo, your master plan would have been to keep Gus Frerotte as the starter along with his 4 million dollar salary....pure genius as you put it. :(

Dom Capers....Mike Mularkey....Nick Saban....I really can't complain about this trio.  Even as poor as the 2 new Fins coordinators have done as Head Coaches, they are proven front line coaches.  Among the very best in the NFL....just my opinion.

656109[/snapback]

Cleo Lemon, Brock Berlin, or Ferrotte during an inflated cap year, while Culpepper spends 8 weeks on the bench....

Sorry, I would have worked it out with Ferrotte.

Mularkey, as a playcaller, flat out sucks. I know he's new and shiny to you guys, but the Bills set NFL records for offensive ineptitude.

Trust me, you'll see. There's a reason that the Steelers went from 6-10 to 15-1 in 2004, and it was more than just a rookie QB.

Cleo Lemon, Brock Berlin, or Ferrotte during an inflated cap year, while Culpepper spends 8 weeks on the bench....

Sorry, I would have worked it out with Ferrotte. 

Mularkey, as a playcaller, flat out sucks.  I know he's new and shiny to you guys, but the Bills set NFL records for offensive ineptitude.

Trust me, you'll see.  There's a reason that the Steelers went from 6-10 to 15-1 in 2004, and it was more than just a rookie QB.

656111[/snapback]

Oh...I didn't know he was gonna miss 8 weeks. Crap....

It is laughable how much Frerrotte was schit on by other NFL teams who have GOOD quarterbacks....now that he's gone, the Fins should have kept him. btw...I'm pretty confident that the Fins #2 QB who could very well start the season is not yet on the roster. It won't be berlin or Lemon.

Oh...I didn't know he was gonna miss 8 weeks.  Crap....

It is laughable how much Frerrotte was schit on by other NFL teams who have GOOD quarterbacks....now that he's gone, the Fins should have kept him.  btw...I'm pretty confident that the Fins #2 QB who could very well start the season is not yet on the roster.  It won't be berlin or Lemon.

656114[/snapback]

October 30th is the year anniversary of the injury in which Culpepper tore 3 ligaments in his knee. If he's able to come back within a year from his injury (McGahee and James, by the way, took longer to come back from their similar injuries), that's 6-8 games. And if I were Saban, I would probably would plan for the worse.

So let's take a quick look at the options for his replacement to start the season: two young QBs or a recycled has-been.

Your boy Mularkey does great job with young QBs. Seriously, take a look at Losman's numbers against the Saints, Bucs, and Falcons last season. That could be your future with Lemon or Berlin under Mularkey.

Admittedly Ferrotte is a recycled has-been, but he's the Dolphins has-been, and knows Saban's system. It's hard to imagine that someone like Joey Harrington offers enough of an improvement to negate Ferrotte's experience with the Phins.

For a position that has been the Dolphins' achilles heel over the past few seasons, there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding the position heading into mini-camp. I think it will cost the Dolphins games early this season.

Dom Capers....Mike Mularkey....Nick Saban....I really can't complain about this trio.  Even as poor as the 2 new Fins coordinators have done as Head Coaches, they are proven front line coaches.  Among the very best in the NFL....just my opinion.

656109[/snapback]

Yeah the coaching staff is solid and the Culpepper trade wasn't a bad move at all IMO.

I just think Saban has a lot more to prove to deserve all the hype he's gotten.

Yeah the coaching staff is solid and the Culpepper trade wasn't a bad move at all IMO. 

656216[/snapback]

I completely agree....Nick is geting alot of credit, some of it not yet earned. Regardless of the circumstances that led to the Fish winding up 9-7. He did inherit a team that was 4-12 as a rookie Head Coach in the NFL. A team many experts, as well as fans, picked to finish bottom 5 in the entire NFL.

656216[/snapback]

Culpepper might prove out to be a good move, but probably not until 2007. Guys who have had this injury usually take 2 years to fully recover.

I don't agree with the coaching staff being that solid. Mularkey's offenses have been pretty terrible the last few seasons, and he seems to have a real problem matching his gameplans to the talent on the teams.

Can any Bills fans look back on the last couple of seasons and find a game where Mularkey outcoached the other team's defense? Maybe the Seattle game, but the Bills 9-7 was really driven by their special teams and defense.

I believe Miami's going to take a step back this season, especially early, which is why I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the Bills start 0-2, the orginal premise of this thread.

Culpepper might prove out to be a good move, but probably not until 2007.  Guys who have had this injury usually take 2 years to fully recover.

I don't agree with the coaching staff being that solid.  Mularkey's offenses have been pretty terrible the last few seasons, and he seems to have a real problem matching his gameplans to the talent on the teams.

Can any Bills fans look back on the last couple of seasons and find a game where Mularkey outcoached the other team's defense?  Maybe the Seattle game, but the Bills 9-7 was really driven by their special teams and defense.

I believe Miami's going to take a step back this season, especially early, which is why I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the Bills start 0-2, the orginal premise of this thread.

656533[/snapback]

Yeah I'm not a Dr. (that's a corny cliche, huh?) but if I'm chosing a franchise QB it's not going to be based on whether the guys' ready for opening day '06. Chances are Culpepper and Brees will still be with their respective teams 4 years from now.

As for Mularkey, obviously offense was not the strength of the team in '04, and obviously it stunk last year. I just don't think that makes him a terrible coach when he had no QB and a crappy OL.

Yeah I'm not a Dr. (that's a corny cliche, huh?) but if I'm chosing a franchise QB it's not going to be based on whether the guys' ready for opening day '06.  Chances are Culpepper and Brees will still be with their respective teams 4 years from now. 

As for Mularkey, obviously offense was not the strength of the team in '04, and obviously it stunk last year.  I just don't think that makes him a terrible coach when he had no QB and a crappy OL.

656758[/snapback]

If I'm chosing a franchise QB, I don't think I'd choose an aging vet with a blown-out knee. If Culpepper loses any mobility, he's Drew Bledsoe with a worse fumbling problem.

If Mularkey had no QB and a crappy Oline with Buffalo, what's he going to do with Cleo Lemon and Brock Berlin, and a crappy OL in Miami? Did Saban hire him because he believes he'll be able to learn from his mistakes? He doesn't seem to bring much else to the job.

If I'm chosing a franchise QB, I don't think I'd choose an aging vet with a blown-out knee.  If Culpepper loses any mobility, he's Drew Bledsoe with a worse fumbling problem.

If Mularkey had no QB and a crappy Oline with Buffalo, what's he going to do with Cleo Lemon and Brock Berlin, and a crappy OL in Miami?  Did Saban hire him because he believes he'll be able to learn from his mistakes?  He doesn't seem to bring much else to the job.

656869[/snapback]

This will be my last post on this thread....it seems you have a perdeption of the Fins that has few facts behind your conclusions. The Miami O-Line which lacks BIG name stars is coached by one of the most respected and highly touted O-Line coaches in the NFL...Hudson Houck. Also this so-called crappy line gave up the 4th fewest sacks in the entire NFL last year. Of course they had the "aging vet" Gus Frerotte back there.....

As far as the aging vet with a blown out knee.....Culpepper is 29.....hardly AGED. While I can't dispute the blown out knee.....his prognosis is good, already throwing and running without cutting.

This will be my last post on this thread....it seems you have a perdeption of the Fins that has few facts behind your conclusions.  The Miami O-Line which lacks BIG name stars is coached by one of the most respected and highly touted O-Line coaches in the NFL...Hudson Houck.  Also this so-called crappy line gave up the 4th fewest sacks in the entire NFL last year. Of course they had the "aging vet" Gus Frerotte back there.....

As far as the aging vet with a blown out knee.....Culpepper is 29.....hardly AGED.  While I can't dispute the blown out knee.....his prognosis is good, already throwing and running without cutting.

657160[/snapback]

Yeah and the Bills had Mouse McNally, hardly a lightweight as their O-line coach, and it didn't help Mularkey all that much.

What facts do you have? Have you followed Mularkey's inept playcalling over the last couple of years? Do you know where the Bill ranked in red zone offense? Are you ready to watch Lemon or Berlin, or some other has-been throw passes on the 3 yard line with a 20 point lead?

As for Culpepper, he's a 29 year-old QB with a blown-out knee. Players who have had the same injury say that it took two years for them to get back to 100%. By then he'll be 31. He's not exactly that young. And if his mobility is suspect when he comes back late this year, he could take a severe beating, which could limit his longevity.

One of the original statments that I responded to, which you jumped in on, was that Saban doesn't make moves to "outsmart" the rest of the league. To me, trading for a QB with a blown-out knee and hiring a coach of the worst offense in NFL history does kind of seem that he's attempting to "outsmart" the league.

I'd say that these moves could be considered "Donahoe-esque."