Anyone ever experience Little League like this?

jayg

One gripe that I have is the awarding of trophies for participating on a team. When I was in little league the only way to get a trophy was for your team to win the championship. Now every kid gets a trophy for participating. This happens in little league baseball, soccer, hockey, etc.

My son (16) and daughter (13) each have a room full of trophies. My son plays on a travel hockey team (ages 15-16) and they even gave out participation trophies. Plus if they go to a tournament they get a trophy or medal for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place even if there are only 4 teams playing.

:unsure:

at the banquet the swim team i coach for is having this year, EVERY kid gets a trophy...reasoning according to one of the parents planning it "we want every kid to go home feeling good about themselves"

i can think of many that don't deserve squat and need to re-evaluate their own character...(btw, i'm not some stone cold dick...i don't have a problem if a kid stinks up the joint due to lack of talent as long as he/she works hard...in fact, they're usually some of my favorite as i admire their work ethic)

another thing i'm noticing these days is that if a coach criticizes a kid or kicks him out of practice for being disruptive or rude, the parents get on the coach's case rather than disciplining their own child...if i'd gotten out of line with my coaches when i was a kid, i know there was going to be some sh*t going down for me when i got home

i think many parents (not all, there are alot of great parents and kids on the team...you can tell who they are as these kids are near direct representations of how their parents are) are now using sports as a way to

1. live vicariously through their kids and fulfill things they didn't do themselves when they were young

and

2. get them out of their hair for a few hours

what they forget is that training, being part of a team and competition prepares them for obstacles they may encounter later in life as an adult...

alot of these kids are going to have problems