Why does everyone rule out short term success?

This today from the Olean Herald on Moulds

It’s likely the three-time Pro Bowler wanted to be forced out of Buffalo. He’ll be 33 in July and with Buffalo’s quarterback situation a mess and other units to be rebuilt, this isn’t a team that’s going to the playoffs next season.

and another excerpt

It’s unlikely Moulds’ attitude would change this year because Evans is still the guy. Plus, the staff doesn’t know who will play QB and the team isn’t going anywhere in the immediate future.

I don't understand this nonsense that "this team can't go anywhere in the immediate future." I see the same sentiments on here. This is the NFL. Teams go from 5-11 to the playoffs (and even win Super Bowls) all the time in this day and age.

Meathead cost us about five games last year with his on field decisions. There's some talent and a window of opportunity to improve. I really don't understand this throw in the towel mentality. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's that Buffalo inferiority complex mentality rearing its ugly head is what I think.

people just wont believe it till they see it, and it looks like the consensus best off season move is Tripplet which compared to other movers and shakers in the nfl is like no off season at all

i'd like to see them just one time go after a big name and fill a need, like they could have with hutchinson or culpepper

My reason: Lack of starting players who have accomplished achievement.

For instance;

Craig Nall- never started an NFL game

Lee Evans - never been #1 receiver on NFL level

Melvin Fowler - never started for a 16 game season

Jason Peters - never started for a 16 game season

Matt Bowen- always been a backup, likely a starter

Benny Anderson - still a starter

Tim Anderson- if team was sold why the push for Pickett

Troy Vincent - was weak last year, still starting

Takeo Spikes- leader of team coming off injury that others struggle to come back from

Not doom and gloom, just a look at the personnel. It's obvious Marv wants younger team to grow together even if we take some losses next year. His Super Bowl teams were built around a core of guys drafted early who grew in the league together, would not surprise me if this was his goal.

with free agency and the limited "life span" of professional football players not expecting and working for success in the immediate future means not working toward success at all. I love it when someone says we shouldn't worry about addressing this seasons needs in free agency or the draft this year so we can save cap money or draft for a 2010 super bowl bid. As George Allen used to say "the future is now" Fix what's wrong with this team this year and make a playoff bid next season. Bring in a couple of offensive linemen, a run stuffing DT, a good safety...and go for the gold. Timid teams have a nice permanent home...at the bottom of the heap.

I don't understand this nonsense that "this team can't go anywhere in the immediate future."

641349[/snapback]

Apparently you haven't recently perused our interior DLine Depth chart.

Apparently you haven't recently perused our interior DLine Depth chart.

641392[/snapback]

Aw c'mon. Haven't you heard Brodrick Bunkley just read Erik Flowers book "How I Buffaloed the Bills". I can see him in September getting knocked on his !@# and lifting the blocker 44 times from the backside position after the runningback has gone by. It's gonna be a great year !!

Aw c'mon. Haven't you heard Brodrick Bunkley just read Erik Flowers book "How I Buffaloed the Bills". I can see him  in September getting knocked on his !@# and lifting the blocker 44 times from the backside position after the runningback has gone by. It's gonna be a great year !!

641421[/snapback]

Has already torn an ACL and an MCL in separate injuires. Reputation for "cruising" through practices and sometime games. Got knocked to the ground a lot at the college level-

Hmmmmm..................................................