Criteria for HC/OC/DC Hires

Which is most important for new Bills hires  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which is most important for new Bills hires

• Extremely competent guy who will impose his will and vision
    • Competent guy who fit in well with existing Bills hierarchy
    • Other (please explain)

Overall, I think the Bills have shown a clear direction with their choices of Coaches to work for and with "The Golden Boys" Ralph and Marv and I for one like it.

I know we would all prefer a choice of other where some extremely competent football talent has the proven ability to get along with folks. However the Bill Parcells of the work are few and far between and unavailable anyway (IMHO, what makes Parcells special is that he has the ability to both impose his exremely good football will and vision, but apparently he is a really funy guy who can leave folks laughing and smiling as he imposes his will on them. This talent is rare).

Given how rare this perfect alternative is, I think the Bills have had a series of clear choices with clear alternatives.

Sherman is an extremely competent HC who demonstrated the ability to produce in the real world leading the Pack to several playoff appearances and even going relatively deep into the playoffs (there does remain a question though how much this was Sherman and how much this was Favre). Even better, Sherman was a former GM and with the inexperienced Marv as our GM getting him some help and the benefit of experience is essential.

However, I was really pleased when we passed on Sherman as HC, because particularly after the massive dissension we suffered through in 2005 as TD was well into his next 3 tear plan which seemed to dedicate this season to training JP rather than winning now, TDs boy MM actually also put a premium on winning now and Ralph keeps hearing the Grim Reaper outside his door and proved unable to not win now if the way we lost produced such a bad record, it all blew up.

I think the highest priority for the Bills is for the most part to have the braintrust and this team on the same page.

It is also essential and absolutely necessary that the new HC and his minions be at least competent coaches. However, I would easily pass on this team getting the best coach out there if that fellow is not on the same page as the Bills givens of Ralph and now also Marv.

Sherman showed every sign of pissed and a bit hurt when the Pack jerked the GM duties away from him. I find it diificult to see how he could have come here as HC and not tried to do what writers like Jerry Sullivan said they wanted which was an extremely competent football man to come in as HC and IMPOSE (Sullivan's word not mine) his vision and will on an inexperienced GM and a meddling owner).

Yeah right. If Sullivan had his way and Sherman was hired, it would have been great for columnists as the Bills likely would have created great stories for Sully to write about as he goes let's you and him fight. However, I just do not see how Sherman who was pissed when the Packers took the GM power away from him and almost certainly in my mind would have needed/wanted to prove himself would not have created the same TD based dissension if he was brought in here with Sully's plan that he would rein in the owner who pays his checks and overide the inexperienced GM that is his boss.

This ia a prescription for great stories for Sully but hard to see and I have heard no convincing arguments why this would not likely be a disaster for the Bills.

Likewise with the decision not to offer Bates a paltry 200K or so to induce him to come here.

Bates seemed to enjoy his time being in charge as interim HC after Wanny nore than wore out his welcome in Miami. I only see disaster if he had come in for what likely would have been a drive-by visit for him to Buffalo where rather than give him a stage to lay the groundwork for getting hired as an HC, by definition our DCs job is going to be running Jauron's designed defense.

Unless Bates were willing to subordinate his considerable skills for the TEAM, then I think he would have been a disaster.

So, in the real world that I see there are unfortunately no individuals available who are BOTH extremely competent football men and can IMPOSE their will and vision and still leave folks smiling.

Given the real options available I would take a competent HC or DC who can get along well with what we are given as a braintrust (if you know how to fire Ralph let me know) than have even the best guy available based on his resume if he cannot be a TEAM with the Golden Boys who are here like or not.

One can resonably argue over whether you think Jauron, or Fewell are competent or not. They do not strike me as the best, but given that Jauron did get NFL Coach of the Year in 2001 and has been productive for a long time at many levels of football, I think he is competent even if he is not the best.

Likewise with Farrell, I think Bates has proven DC production which Farell does not, but as I said in another post, the real criteria for the DC are:

1. A competent man who adds value to the TEAM because he will fit in well with the existing staff.

2. A competent man who can call the defensive plays well.

3. A competent man who adds value to the TEAM because he will fit in well with the existing staff.

4. A compotent man who is a good teacher who helps the players perform.

5. A competent man who adds value to the TEAM because he will fit in well with the existing staff.

6. A compotent man who can diagnose first half play (and also diagnose things on the fly), choose changes in the Bills D to block the opponent, and implement these changes over the half (or on the fly) so that we make good adjustments.

7. A compotent man who adds value to the TEAM because he will fit in well with the existing staff.

and from what I hear of Farell and with his resume as a secondary coach, his long time with the Jags and being part of the Lovie Smith crew before moving up to DC here he can do these tasks running the Jauron D.

I vote for this group being a TEAM rather investing in someone who will lead us to success if he exceeds his title and IMPOSES his will.

Hiring Sherman or Bates might have been good football moves but they almost certainly would have bad Bills moves as best as I can see.