Give it a break...

I matched your reaction to that point. In the answer may lie the explanation for many of the woes being bandied about. I'm guessing the hire wasn't done exclusively based upon the similarity in style to Marv he favors or his Coach of the Year in 2001. There's something in the equation that's not visible at this time..................

581010[/snapback]

Looks like Dick was helped by the Jags win-loss record more than the actual defensive stat rankings. Not too many defensive gems in those playoff games either:

1996 regular season (9-7)

Postseason:

AFC Wildcard Game: won 30 - 27 at Buffalo Bills

AFC Divisional Playoff: won 30 - 27 at Denver Broncos

AFC Championship Game: lost 6 - 20 at New England Patriots

1997 regular season (11-5)

Postseason:

AFC Wildcard Game: lost 17 - 42 at Denver Broncos

1998 regular season (11-5)

Postseason:

AFC Wildcard Game: won 25 - 10 vs. New England Patriots

AFC Divisional Playoff: lost 24 - 34 at New York Jets

That is 11 years worth of data.  Only ONCE in 11 years did Dick Jauron have a defense finish in the top half of the league in points allowed.  Not only can you NOT say that Dick Jauron is a good defensive coach, you can make a pretty convincing argument that he is a piece of crap as a defensive coach.

580897[/snapback]

I looked closely at the data your post provided. What I was looking for what a clear pattern: when Jauron shows up, does a defense get better or worse? What happens when he leaves?

No clear pattern emerged. Moreover, I don't know enough about the teams he coached in to gauge their talent levels, the strength of opposing offenses, or their injury situations. Take Chicago's defense this year. It was rated #1 in terms of points allowed, and #2 for yards allowed. But was it really a top 2 defense? I don't think so: it was more a question of having a schedule that pitted it against very few good offensive teams. The Panthers had a much easier time dealing with Chicago's defense in the playoffs, than they did dealing with Seattle's.

That might be relevant if he was named our DC, but since he wasn't, it isn't. 

As a head coach, I'd like him to be an effective manager of both players and staff.  I'd like him to have a consistent vision.  I'd like that vision to mesh with the personnel department (drafting a receiving TE to play for a "smash-mouth" team is an example of what I don't want to see).  I'd like him to hire an OC & DC that effectively use the talent we have - taking advantage of those players' strengths while covering their weaknesses.

His record as a HC or DC for other teams (most of whom had nowhere the talent that I believe Bflo does) doesn't matter.  I used to think it did, but Williams and Mularkey have convinced me otherwise...

581015[/snapback]

Thank you for a rational take on the situation. Who we end up with as DC and OC (and the draft) will either make or break him. Meanwhile, I will reserve judgment on Jauron. How many of you are willing to do the same? And, please, spare us from any more ageist comments about Ralph and Marv. It was marginely humorous initially, but wears thin and says more about you than about these two highly successful and sharp men.