Just watched replays on NFL Network on-deman

The plays I saw that stood out were:

- WR Ronald Curry being covered one-on-one for that 3rd and 27 TD by rookie FS Rashad Baker (WTF?).

- On a 3rd and 4 play where Ted Washington ran around Lawrence Smith (!) and had Drew in his grasp, Drew got off a beautiful pass to Josh Reed that he dropped and which would have been a 1st down inside the 10 (arrgh!): Bills settle for a FG. Drew gets nailed in the head by another defender (didn't see whether it was legal or not) and grabs the sides of his helmet, and I have to think he got a mild concussion.

- Doug Jolley making an incredible 1-handed reception while twisting his body.

- a couple sacks where there was NO hot read because everyone went long.

- the pass to Henry HAD to be high because Drew had Villarrial and a defender right in his face when he threw it, and it wasn't a hard throw, Henry just doesn't have the hands for that kind of play, and it WAS a set play.

- On the "goal-line stand" by the Raiders, the whistle did NOT blow until well after Henry stretched the ball over the goal-line. You can hear the whistle on the audio track, and you can also see the zebra right behind the play stand where he is, not run in there like they do when they blow the whistle. Would have made it 10-10, and should have been reviewed, being that close a game and call.

- on Nate Clements' punt return to the 11 yard line, a flag is thrown around the area of the kickoff (Raiders' 35-yard line). The announcers said that it was probably an offsides by the punting team. But no, it was holding at the Bills' 36 yard line. Amazing sight by those refs, not being able to spot a TD right in front of you, but seeing a hold 30 yards away!

- Drew gets sacked by Woodson on a nicely disguised blitz as he came in untouched. The Bills go onto score a TD on that drive on a fortunate bounce to Moulds, after a Bledsoe roll-out (finally!).

- Rashad Baker just BARELY misses getting a hand on the on-sides kick. In real-time that's a hard play to make so I can't fault him, but DANG!

That's all they showed, but suffice it to say that what I DID see, the Bills got some screwing and the play-calling looks to be back to going long and lacking hot reads/outlet receivers (I mean guys out in the flats). As I said, it's only 2 games into the season and I'm already sick of Clements. He shouldn't be running the show, Mularkey should because Mularkey was the OC for the Steelers and who got the most out of "talents" like Maddox (statue) and Stewart (just plain bad QB). Hell even Wyche. The Bills need to keep more backs in the backfield and roll Drew out more, to keep him from getting killed and to provide an outlet.

From the replay I saw, the Curry TD wasn't one on one coverage.  It was a zone coverage where Vincent was responsible for the sideline, and the safety was supposed to be covering the deep middle.  Baker just bit on a juke and got toasted.

42158[/snapback]

Exactly. Curry showed a veteran move when he cut to the inside and looked back at Gannon, who pump faked at that precise moment. Baker bit hard on that fake by Curry and Gannon, and Curry went back up, at which time Baker had no hope of getting back in the play. I think a key component of that play was the amount of time that Gannon's line gave him to execute a nice pump fake, and stay in the pocket to throw.

Exactly.  Curry showed a veteran move when he cut to the inside and looked back at Gannon, who pump faked at that precise moment.  Baker bit hard on that fake by Curry and Gannon, and Curry went back up, at which time Baker had no hope of getting back in the play.  I think a key component of that play was the amount of time that Gannon's line gave him to execute a nice pump fake, and stay in the pocket to throw.

42175[/snapback]

It was a problem. Last game it didn't seem like we were bringing the blitz as much as we did against Jacksonville, maybe we were and it just got blocked or maybe we didn't blitz as much because we thought Gannon would make good reads. Either way, I don't think that Oaklands recievers outside of Porter are too threatening with their speed, so blitzes seem to me like a safe enough plan.

We're plain lucky to have gotten the points that we've scored so far this season. In the Jax game the D gave us the ball inside the 20 twice for our scores. Last game is was an overlooked Evans waiting there for an underthrown ball and then a tip to Moulds.

What happens when the sun stops shining straight up our colon?

This OFFENSE can't seem to move the ball or do anything with it when its plopped inside the red zone for them by the D either.

It was a problem.  Last game it didn't seem like we were bringing the blitz as much as we did against Jacksonville, maybe we were and it just got blocked or maybe we didn't blitz as much because we thought Gannon would make good reads.  Either way, I don't think that Oaklands recievers outside of Porter are too threatening with their speed, so blitzes seem to me like a safe enough plan.

42184[/snapback]

I think we were blitzing quite a bit until they kept pounding our heads against the wall with their swing passes. One after another. One is good for six yards. One is good for five. One is good for eight. Over and over and over.

I think we were blitzing quite a bit until they kept pounding our heads against the wall with their swing passes. One after another. One is good for six yards. One is good for five. One is good for eight. Over and over and over.

42203[/snapback]

See ? They know how to beat the blitz !...Unlike us. We just blame the OL and never adjust our playcalling.

On the replays I saw, I only saw that Baker was the closest DB to Curry, and he was a good 5 yards away. On another play I didn't mention, Reese and Baker were covering a WR (Curry?) and he got a 1st down.

More things I remembered:

- on that last sack by Woodson, it looks like Big Mike false starts and that Bledsoe kind of lets up, expecting a penalty flag to be thrown. It doesn't make much difference since efven with the loss of yardage and down, the Bills STILL went onto score a TD.

- to further explain Henry's TD that was incorrectly ruled a stop, he ended up on his back on a pile of players, kept driving his legs, and extended the ball with one arm and it DEFINITELY crosses the plane of the goal-line (all you need is the tip of the ball to go a nanometer over the goal-line). The ball swatted out of his hands, but it's already a TD. Again the ref right in front didn't (want to) see it and didn't charge in there like they do when the whistle blows, and you can definitely hear a whistle on the audio, which when combined with the umps' actions signal that it was NOT blown dead by a whistle, it was just blown by the refs.

We're plain lucky to have gotten the points that we've scored so far this season.  In the Jax game the D gave us the ball inside the 20 twice for our scores.  Last game is was an overlooked Evans waiting there for an underthrown ball and then a tip to Moulds. 

What happens when the sun stops shining straight up our colon? 

This OFFENSE can't seem to move the ball or do anything with it when its plopped inside the red zone for them by the D either.

42201[/snapback]

I don't normally reply to guests, but I couldn't pass this one up.

If you're going to say the Bills are lucky to have scored any of their points, what do you say about our opponents? Jax scoring a TD at the end of the g ame on *3* 4th down plays? Oakland getting lucky on a wide open TD pass that beat our rookie safety? Bounces are part of the game, deal with it.

CW