Marv's HOF induction presentation

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/rele...?release_id=434

BILL POLIAN:

Enshrinees, honored guests, commissioner, our good friend and benefactor Ralph Wilson, ladies and gentlemen, and that special group of players, fans, coaches, and staff who make the Buffalo Bills family so unique.

It is said that leadership is that unique quality which enables special people to stand up and pull the rest of us over the horizon. By that or any other definition, Marv Levy is one of the greatest leaders this game has ever known.

His incredible vision for what his teams and players could become - and there are many seated in front of us here today who I think will be up on this podium before long - his magnificent ability to articulate that vision, his boundless kindness and empathy for his players and associates, and his unconquerable will to persevere no matter what the obstacle or odds, left an indelible mark on those of us privileged to be led by him.

His famous Marvisms, reflected in a few short sentences. A person, a philosophy, a role model, not only for us, but because of his genius as a teacher, through us for generations to come.

Here are just a few:

'Everyone wants to win. The special person has the will to prepare to win.'

'What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say.'

'Adversity is an opportunity for heroism.'

'Expect rejection but expect more to overcome it.'

Words not only for winning but for living. And words that remind us not only of the lessons learned and battles fought, but of the profound respect and affection we have for their teacher.

Cicero wrote that friends multiply joy and divide sorrow. There wasn't very much sorrow in our days together, and Marv, your friends are here today to thank you and multiply your joy as you take your rightful place among the game's immortals.

Perhaps the most famous Marvism of all is the most appropriate today, and you've seen it already: 'Where would you rather be than right here, right now?'

Marv, there's no place in the world we would rather be than right here, right now with you.

This winter, the great Jerry Magee of San Diego captured in a few eloquent sentences why Marv Levy will be enshrined here today. They bear repeating:

'Marv Levy ennobled the coaching profession. Marv Levy ennobled the game of football.

Marv Levy ennobled everyone with whom he came in contact.'

On behalf of all of us and all of those privileged to have called him coach, it is my great honor to present for induction into the National Football League Hall of Fame, my treasured friend and the finest man I know, coach Marv Levy.