Penalties

I am not one of those who feels games are fixed, but I think there are certainly impressions that refs have of teams that leads them to throw more flags, and there are also crews that are much more flag-happy than others.

Witness last night's game, SD vs. OAK, no flags in the first half. Yeah, that Oakland. You're telling me the Chargers are never holding? (Even noted dolt Joe T. saw some going on.)

Meanwhile, Nate's called for the "body slam" when the play is still active, no whistle blown, and the receiver is still trying to break loose and make forward progress. He was also the only player actually tackling, so it's not like the other player was being ganged up upon and clearly stopped.

Do these things happen because the Bills have a reputation of being more penalized / undisciplined? Or is it just that the Sunday night crew was more of a "let 'em play" type?

Later in the game yesterday, a Dolphin player did something similar to what Nate did (not quite as blatant), and there was no call.

Also, there was no call when JP scrambled, got a first, was tackled, then a second player flew from out of nowhere and nailed him in the back. If JPL were Vick, there would've been a flag.

CW

You should have witnessed the love given by the refs to the Atlanta Vicks yesterday...

Vick had a scramble where he wasn't even out of bounds yet, but the ref called a 15-yard unsportsman-like because the Panthers player has the audacity to actually contact the new NFL poster boy.

Another winner was when Brad Hoover of the panthers got up after making a catch, kind of tossed the ball over his right shoulder, the Vicks player pushed the ball into the back of his head all pissy, and the ref called a 15-yarder on Hoover. It goes on and on. I'd love to see Head-ref @sswipe explain that on Total Access this week...