Hardest thing to do

Tolstoy

The hardest thing to do for an NFL team is develop a young QB into a successful starter. One has only to look at the long list of NFL first round QB busts to see this.

The Bills, however, may be more than halfway there (it is too early yet to declare success).

I can tell you this, however. Having such a star QB is probably the best predictor of team success over the long haul--even more than a dominant defense (which comes a close second). Consider some of the dominant teams in recent years--Indianapolis with Manning and Cincinnati with Palmer(this year), New England with Brady (the past few years), Denver with Elway, Green Bay with Favre, Dallas with Aikman, Buffalo with Kelly, etc. A few teams each decade win the Superbowl with average QB play, and a dominant defense, but more often than not, the teams who win it all have the great QB (along with a better than average defense).

My point is that while the Bills season this year has been a major disappointment, maybe there is a bright light shining at the end of this long tunnel of misery. If JP continues to develop as he is, we may very well be on the road to numerous years of success.

The hardest thing to do for an NFL team is develop a young QB into a successful starter.  One has only to look at the long list of NFL first round QB busts to see this.

The Bills, however, may be more than halfway there (it is too early yet to declare success).

I can tell you this, however.  Having such a star QB is probably the best predictor of team success over the long haul--even more than a dominant defense (which comes a close second).  Consider some of the dominant teams in recent years--Indianapolis with Manning and Cincinnati with Palmer(this year), New England with Brady (the past few years), Denver with Elway, Green Bay with Favre,    Dallas with Aikman, Buffalo with Kelly, etc.  A few teams each decade win the Superbowl with average QB play, and a dominant defense, but more often than not, the teams who win it all have the great QB (along with a better than average defense).

My point is that while the Bills season this year has been a major disappointment, maybe there is a bright light shining at the end of this long tunnel of misery.  If JP continues to develop as he is, we may very well be on the road to numerous years of success.

517635[/snapback]

Not unless Teflon Tom puts an actual OL in front of JP.

If not he will nothing but roadkill.