Genesis "The Musical Box"

Webster Guy

I would suggest that you get "Seconds Out", a double live CD.  It has Phil Collins singing, but it is when he first took over for Peter Gabriel so a bunch of songs that Gabriel sung are on the CD.

Since you are used to Phil Collins singing in the later Genesis years, it might be too much to go to the beginning with Gabriel.  People who have gone backwards with Genesis (they like the new stuff and decide to explore their work going back) sometimes don't "get" the old Gabriel stuff right away.  "Seconds Out" is a good buffer, you can go backwards from there if you like it.

That's what I recommend for ya.

Jeff

PS If you do decide to go back, the "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is sung by Gabriel (double CD) and drummed by Phil Collins and is my fav album of all time. And if you never realized what a phenomenal drummer Phil Collins is, anything pre-Abacab in my opinion is fantastic.  Chester Thompson drums live on Seconds Out, but you can hear when Phil Collins stops singing in a song, runs back, and the two drummers drum together. (On the song "Cinema Show", Bill Bruford is the live drummer).

517883[/snapback]

Fantastic guys, thank you for the suggestions!! I do have to say that I own a few Collins albums, I always thought he was a tremendous songwriter and overall wonderful musician. I know quite a bit of Gabriel's solo stuff, which I am assuming is very different from his Genesis work.

The one Genesis Live album I own is "The Way we walk" both volumes. Vo. 2 has longer versions, nd it does feature a few early work from the band, so hopefully knoing that I enjoy that CD, I will enjoy the rest of the early genesis work.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic