A Fix for failed Quarterback rating formula

AKC

You must remember, AKC, that these are Boston-based fans.  They seem to feed off of misery.

516171[/snapback]

Your ecdysis in these wee hours compels me to ask whether you will now continue only under your Troll name of Hollywood Donahoe or whether your alternative "Rico" moniker still have breath of its own?

I have no other identities on this board.

516174[/snapback]

Were you but one the smell would remain, alas there is no truth to your words.

Odd- no; pathetic- of course.

I'd like to get back to the original point of this thread. Not that these boards didn't need a shouting match between AKC and Hollywood. Fortunately, this is the only thread on which such a shouting match has occurred. :doh:

Yards after the catch is a tough one. Some QBs, such as Joe Montana, throw the ball with such precision that the receiver doesn't have to break stride to make the catch. This sets receivers up perfectly to make good yards after the catch. Any formula which takes away YAC would simply ignore one of the best and most unique aspects of Montana and others who had that perfect timing.

I agree a QB shouldn't get credit for passes completed behind the line of scrimmage.

I'd also throw this in there: under the present rating system, there is no effect for taking a sack, but your rating gets penalized if you throw the ball away. I'd say that if you're going to blame sacks on the offensive linemen--or receivers for not getting open--you should blame throwing the ball away on those people too. Don't reward the QB for taking the sack.

But the biggest change I'd suggest is this: when a pass is thrown, ask first if it was catchable. If it was, treat it as a catch, regardless of the outcome of the play--catch, incompletion, interception, whatever. No sense in penalizing a QB just because his receivers have butter fingers.

I'd say the current system should have less emphasis on completion percentage, and more emphasis on yards per pass attempt. If you complete a 45 yard pass to Lee Evans, chances are you're walking away from the drive with at least three points. I'd rather have a QB go 1-3--with one of the passes being a 45 yarder to Evans--than 3-3 with each pass being 3 yards long.

Finally, the current system should take into account down and distance, at least on 3rd and 4th down. A 3rd or 4th down completion short of the first down marker should be treated like an incompletion. Whatever field position the QB gained means little next to the fact he didn't convert.