Interesting thing about the McGee signing

cale

First of all let me say I think this is a great thing. McGee is locked up for 4 years. But, does anyone remember Donahoe saying negotiations in the middle of the season are distractions for the team per Williams, Jennings, Winfield etc. Not that I think those guys with the exception of Williams should have been signed.

But notice how Donahoe uses the distraction excuse whenever he's not hot on re-signing the player?

First of all let me say I think this is a great thing.  McGee is locked up for 4 years.  But, does anyone remember Donahoe saying negotiations in the middle of the season are distractions for the team per Williams, Jennings, Winfield etc.  Not that I think those guys with the exception of Williams should have been signed.

But notice how Donahoe uses the distraction excuse whenever he's not hot on re-signing the player?

489545[/snapback]

Worrying about negotiations rather than playing is a distraction for some players from simply playing the game. However, I'm happy that TD will simply throw away the "rules" when an action which runs counter to the rules simply makes sense.

Really the only rule is just win baby.

Actually there is a second rule which simply says ignore all other rules, guidelines, adice or what have you that contravenes rule 1.

Most people use rules to simply more easily avoid doing something hard or tough.

Rules are simply meant to be broken when it makes sense. Rules should generally become simply guidelines when they are used to stop you from doing the right thing or the intelligent thing which is within the other agreed upon rules.

I and I suspect all players have no problem with this somewhat firm guideline being ignored in this case.