Disgruntled fan here

nodnarb

I haven't felt this bad after a Bills game in a while. The Raiders are a baaad team, and they had nobodies prancing around in their secondary. What do we do? We call a bewilderingly bad game on both sides of the ball (coaching) and the players appear to give up with ten minutes left (desire, will). MM said they had called deep passes - does this mean that Kelly kept checking them off at the line? Well guess what? That's what defenses do - they move around to try to force you into audibles, which are typically easier to predict than the hundreds of plays on a coach's cheatsheet.

It's not Kelly's fault that our offense continues to stink. It's coaching. He'll do what you tell him. If you want him to run the plays as called, don't let him audible out of situations *that you have deemed critical for a deep shot*. Let Sam Wyche determine if a defensive front calls for an audible.

*Put your team in the best situation to be successful at all times.*

I'm not seeing that. What I'm seeing is a team that still has only beaten 2 playoff teams in 24 games (St. Louis and Seattle last year). Seattle remains our most impressive win...I consider the Rams one of the softest teams in the league. This should not impress anybody. I was concerned that the Jets game might give us false hope - the Jets have a lot of great players but their coaches are mediocre strategists.

I'm starting to think that we might have mediocre strategists, too. And nothing could be more deflating, because you can't overcome that. You can overcome player injury of any degree if you have the right coach. You can beat teams you're not supposed to beat if you have the right coach. I like Mike Mularkey, I really do. But I'm not convinced he's the right coach. I can't wear that "I BILLIEVE" shirt, but I might considering wearing a "I WANT TO BILLIEVE" shirt. He hasn't proven anything to me yet. And a considerable amount of time has passed.

Group sigh: 1, 2, 3...SIGH....

I haven't felt this bad after a Bills game in a while. The Raiders are a baaad team, and they had nobodies prancing around in their secondary. What do we do? We call a bewilderingly bad game on both sides of the ball (coaching) and the players appear to give up with ten minutes left (desire, will). MM said they had called deep passes - does this mean that Kelly kept checking them off at the line? Well guess what? That's what defenses do - they move around to try to force you into audibles, which are typically easier to predict than the hundreds of plays on a coach's cheatsheet.

It's not Kelly's fault that our offense continues to stink. It's coaching. He'll do what you tell him. If you want him to run the plays as called, don't let him audible out of situations *that you have deemed critical for a deep shot*. Let Sam Wyche determine if a defensive front calls for an audible.

*Put your team in the best situation to be successful at all times.*

I'm not seeing that. What I'm seeing is a team that still has only beaten 2 playoff teams in 24 games (St. Louis and Seattle last year). Seattle remains our most impressive win...I consider the Rams one of the softest teams in the league. This should not impress anybody. I was concerned that the Jets game might give us false hope - the Jets have a lot of great players but their coaches are mediocre strategists.

I'm starting to think that we might have mediocre strategists, too. And nothing could be more deflating, because you can't overcome that. You can overcome player injury of any degree if you have the right coach. You can beat teams you're not supposed to beat if you have the right coach. I like Mike Mularkey, I really do. But I'm not convinced he's the right coach. I can't wear that "I BILLIEVE" shirt, but I might considering wearing a "I WANT TO BILLIEVE" shirt. He hasn't proven anything to me yet. And a considerable amount of time has passed.

Group sigh: 1, 2, 3...SIGH....

484138[/snapback]

I'm with you there brother...

I see a team that is still being run on the cheap. There is no way that they should have let Pat Williams walk. I have heard the Donahoe-speak and Grey-speak about how the loss of Pat is not the reason for the issues with the run defense, but that just doesn't jive.

Last year with Pat - 7th in the league against the run.

This year without Pat - 30th in the league.

Simply put - TD was a boob for letting Pat walk. Something could have been worked out, something should have been worked out to keep the tandem of Pat and Sam together. It's not like we didn't see this same issue when we let big Ted Washington go. We thought that we could fill in on the cheap and our following season did nothing to make us forget about "the package". Pat got double teamed, and the other late round scrubs got ran over. Then we picked up Sam Adams and our defense got better in a hurry.

Jerry has got to understand that if we don't have the horses up front to stop the run and generate pressure, maybe we should look to a different scheme - oh, that's right... I almost forgot. Jerry is a one trick pony. He has been in one system throughout his career. Then he picked up some zone blitz pointers from Dick Lebeau, but until he can accept that his scheme is not fitting his players, and go and design a plan that works for the personnel we have, he will never be an NFL calibre coordinator. Without the big bodies up front this defense blows chunks, and Grey's answer is an unoriginal blitz, blitz, and blitz. Do we really scare anyone other than the worst teams with this scheme?

To add insult to injury, I live in Viking land and I got to watch that meathead coach of theirs in their locker room after their win against the Packers. He praised one guy on the team for (in his words) "being in the Packers backfield all day" guess who?

Pat Williams - he gave him the game ball.

The Vikes haven't been winning games, but no one out here is blaming Pat Williams. They love him.

When God, oh when will we ever see a coach again that can design a good game plan for both sides of the ball using the players that we have????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!!!

@Left: I agree you about Jerry Gray, and about how the Pat Williams void is hurting this defense.

484967[/snapback]

Thanks bud,

Pat wasn't the best in the business, but combined with Sam they made a formidable tandem in the middle that freed our playmakers to attack the edges. Now we just get run over up the middle. That has the domino effect of pulling other guys out of position which then hurts our pass defense.

Mularky has a tough job ahead, but as HC he has to talk some sense into Jerry and make sure that Gray is aware that his job is on the line. In the interim, if we are going to be stuck with Gray and his scheme for at least another year, our scouts better be already looking for a wide body defensive tackle in the Traylor, Williams, Washington mold to make this thing work.