Extend McGee's contract . . .

Peter

I think the 2nd part of the sentence is the telling part....Wilson is not going

to give out 30+M in signing bonus to two players.....especially if they are

going to keep aging players like Moulds/Milloy/Fletcher whose cap #s

keep getting higher the more deeper into their contracts...

479712[/snapback]

older players should be moved out and young players should be retained......that should be the priority, especially for a team that hasn't tasted the playoffs in years.......i want players who are going to improve, not decline.......a cap eater at the end of his contract is much more detrimental then a young player just entering his prime and the early years of a big contract......

as for shelling out pure dollars, wilson should be ready and able to pay (and donahoe has said in the past that he is and that is not an issue).......other teams find ways to retain good young players, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect the bills to do the same for their BEST good young players.......for instance, another small market in JAX recently made stroud one of the highest paid DT's in the league and locked up mathis (a CB very comparable to mcgee) to a long-term deal......if they can afford to pay their good young talent, why can't buffalo with mcgee, clements, and mcgahee? why are there players eager to sign extensions but these three players want to leave?.......

Let's not take any shots at Ralph.  The man is a prince.  He has ponied up plenty of cash for bonuses and free agents.  There is no cheapskate factor.  If he was in it for the money, he would have sold the team for $750 million a long time ago.

As far as what do you spend the money on if not your own good young players -- I agree with this up to a point, but that point is below what it will cost to sign a top-tier DB.  A DB just doesn't have that much impact on the game, unless he's Deion Sanders in his prime.  McGee is good, and maybe even comparable to Deion as a KR (but probably not quite as good), but he doesn't shut down half of the downfield the way Deion did.

Again, I ask:  who would you rather have:  one of our 2 (admittedly excellent) CBs, or Bruce Smith or Ted Washington in their primes?  There is no doubt, is there?  A great D-linemen, which is what our D is crying out for, is just much more effective than a great CB.

I don't know who the top DTs/DEs/LTs on the market are going to be in the next couple of years.  However, the bills shouldn't use up their cap space just because they have it -- this would preclude future steps down the road.  There are always good veterans unexpectedly becoming available -- like Milloy, Pete Kendall, Corey Simon, etc.

And by the way, another expensive position that IS worth the money and that it is quite likely we will need to spend money on next year or the year after is QB.  I hate to say it, but can anyone feel confident that this is not the case?

479825[/snapback]

i'm with you -- i'd rather have a top tier DL then a top tier DB......BUT i just don't see anyone of the caliber of nate clements becoming available in free agency at the DL position........why? because other teams lock up that kind of talent and don't let them taste free agency.......you get the odd player who fits that description who slips into free agency (i.e. jevon kearse) but that is a rarity and when it does happen you can expect to over-pay IF that player even wants to play for your team over the 10 others that are offering him deals..........and if you miss out on him, your back to square one......continuity still counts for something in this league, and i'd rather retain TOP young players that know our system and want to be here over someone coming in fresh.....you deal with the cards your dealt, and we've been dealt some very good young CB's.......i'd love to see them stick around.......

i view QB position much like DL -- good young QB's just don't hit free agency often.....if you want one, you better draft one, develop him, and extend him.....hopefully JP is that guy for us.......