A small ray of sunshine!

NJ_BillsFan

What koolaid have they been drinking and holy sh-- they have some good weed.

459017[/snapback]

Dude it's Fox, have you tried watching Fox News? It doesn't suprise me. Those people don't know anything and pass off opinion & spin as news.

The initial shock is starting to wear off.... One thing which occured to me later this week...

The teams we lost to (Atlanta & Tampa) aren't exactly slouches... they are a combined 3-1 in games other than ours this year... of course our win isn't what I'd call quality since Houston is 0-2 in games other than ours... That doesn't console me... but it does soften the pain just a little...

Dude it's Fox, have you tried watching Fox News?  It doesn't suprise me.  Those people don't know anything and pass off opinion & spin as news.

459029[/snapback]

as opposed to what CNNABCCBSNBCMSNBC it's the msm all hype all the time just read the buf news sports page and then come here and everyone sounds just like the latest column,,,or how about all the katrina hype 99% of which turns out to totally made up 1% true,water topped levees NO flooded the rest of it HYPE!!!!!

The first positive thing this week.  Not that it matters much, but Fox has Buffalo ranked #7.  I guess some media has faith in Buffalo.  I still have faith.  The season is young.

459015[/snapback]

Obviously the guy who wrote this is a huge Bills fan. If I decided the power rankings I'd list them at 5 just ahead of Tampa and Atlanta, just to pisss those fans off! :devil:

fyi..... Here's the reason for the ranking...

The FOXSports.com NFL Power Ratings look a little different this week. In fact, they look a little different from everything else on the Web. That's because instead of being based on our gut feeling, they are now based on the innovative DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) ratings that we've been using to rank teams at FootballOutsiders.com for two seasons.

The DVOA system breaks down every single play of the season and compares each one to the NFL average based on situation and opponent. Conventional NFL rankings measure teams by adding up all their yards no matter what situations they came in or how many plays it took to get them. Now why would they do that? Football has one objective — to get to the end zone — and two ways to achieve that, by gaining yards and getting first downs. These two goals need to be balanced to determine a player's value or a team's performance. All the yards in the world aren't useful if they all come in eight-yard chunks on third-and-tens.

Remember, of course, that any statistical formula is not a replacement for your own judgment, just a tool to use. The numbers say Chicago has been the seventh-best team this season based on available data. That doesn't mean we actually believe that the Bears are the seventh-best team in the NFL, because we know that they just had one huge performance in a season that's only three weeks old.

With that in mind, these power ratings are not based solely on the three games played so far this year. When we look at just 2005, New England ends up 14th because they lost to Carolina. Does anyone really think New England is not a top ten team? Early in the season, with just a couple of games to go on, ratings are going to fluctuate wildly. And of course, they are very dependent on strength of schedule — except that we don't really know how strong any opponent is yet, because those teams only have three games to go on.

As a result, we're ranking teams with a formula that combines the team's rating at the end of 2004, our 2005 pre-season projections, and 2005 actual performance. Each week, the first two items will become less important, and the last item more important. By Week 8, we'll only be basing the ratings on this year's games, and starting the next week, we'll start using a formula that makes early games less important so that we can account for teams that are heating up at the end of the year.

If you've never read our site before, this is probably hurting your brain. But don't worry, we're keeping things simple around here. The power ratings table will only list a team's rank from 1-32. If you want to see the actual DVOA ratings, along with some additional numbers we use to judge teams, you can find those on FootballOutsiders.com. The team totals are here, and we also have separate pages for offense, defense, and special teams. There's also a more developed explanation for our methods here.

The LAST WEEK column below is last week's rank by our methods, not last week's FOX Power Ratings. 2005 represents rank based solely on this year's games. Offense, defense, and special teams ranks also represent 2005 games only.

Two Links:

(The article w/ Rankings)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4910694?GT1=6902

(The FootballOutsiders.com rankings w/ more info)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff.php