Backup LB's- time to step up (along w/ rest of D)

smokinandjokin

It's easy to say that we have a great corps of backup LB's when they have never had to play. The Bills have been extremely lucky for the past two years that Posey, Fletcher, and Spikes have all been very durable and played every game. In fact, in Spikes' whole career, he has only missed one game, and that was to attend the funeral of his father. That's probably why he appeared to be crying when he was carted off before halftime: he has never been injured and he knew this one was serious.

So the Bills staff has been raving about these LB's, saying they all could start for other teams. Well, it's time to step up. Obviously, Haggan is no Fletcher- the TB running backs proved that last week. Now we need Crowell to fill a HUGE void with the loss of TKO. Unfortunately, while Crowell may be able to step in and play well, TKO's energy, fire, and inspiration that he brought to the rest of the D is irreplaceable.

As we know, every team in the NFL has injuries. Time to see what these backup LB's are made of. Like the rest of the D, they've been nothing more than hype so far. I hope they can all pull it together.

The backup linebackers aren't that good. This has to be addressed in the near future. No confidence in any of them.

455166[/snapback]

I have a genuine concern that these guys are outstanding on special teams, but just don't have the extra God-given gifts to get it done on every play. I'm sure they are talented and coachable, but I suspect they are missing some of the intangibles that cannot be coached. And since the starting LB's have been so healthy, they are drastically short on experience.

I agree, it's easy to talk about how great they are when they have never had to play in a situation where winning or losing hung in the balance.