Al Edwards

BenchBledsoe

I vaguely in my mind's eye can remember and picture some of this!!! Incredible! Well, like I said, dear sir, you are officially my hero now!. . .

Got anything on the 1983 Bills-Rams game at "The Big A" in Anaheim where the Bills lost 41-17 (I think). I think Fergy hit Byron Franklin for a first half TD. But threw three picks in the game? And Eric Dickerson ran for over 100 yds. that day.

443349[/snapback]

September 27, 1983

After losing to the Raiders the prevoius week in Orchard Park (27-24) Joe Ferguson throws five second-half interceptions in Anaheim after the Bills trailed 14-7 at half time. The Bills score on a 15 yard TD pass to Tony Hunter (2nd qtr) and a 43-yarder to Byron Franklin (3rd qtr). Joe D. was 20-44 (271) but 5 Int's would ruin anyone's day and led to 12 LA points.

Dickerson was 32 for 125 including a 2-yard TD and one other that was called back on penalty.

They also lost to San Francisco that season to complete the West Coast "Hat Trick"

48, 246 at Anaheim Stadium

Actually it was Curtis Brown in 1978 ... and it was definitely not Al Edwards' only NFL touchdown, that same year he caught about a 50-yarder from Kelly against the Bears ...

443374[/snapback]

I stand corrected

I mis-spoke - Al Edwards only ST - TD in the previously mentioned game

On September 29, 1991

Al Edwards caught a 33-yard pass from Jim Kelly in 14:48 of the 2nd quarter to cap off a 11 play 85-yard drive and make the current score Bills 6 - Bears 7

The Bills went on to win 35-20 and Al Edwards finished with two catches for 44 yards

BUFFALO BILLS 30, LOS ANGELES RAIDERS 27 (OT)

8th December 1991

Trying to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs, the Bills traveled to Los Angeles and played another wild offensive game against the Raiders for the third time in 2 seasons. The Raiders jumped out to a 10-0 lead on a Tim Brown 78 yards bomb in the 1st quarter. Al Edwards returned the ensuing kickoff 95 yards to draw the Bills within 3. Former Buffalo Bill Greg Bell added a 12 yard run for a score in the 2nd quarter. Trailing 20-7 late in the half, Keith McKeller brought Buffalo to within 17-14, but the Raiders managed a FG as time expired.

Bills Kicker Scott Norwood, who was struggling all season, suffered through his worst game of the year. Norwood missed 3 FG attempts in the second half as the Raiders moved ahead 27-14 entering the 4th quarter. Kelly led the Bills on a 67-yard drive capped off by Ken Davis's 1-yard TD run with 4:06 remaining. Norwood's missed extra point left the Bills trailing 27-20. The Bills defense held LA to a 3-and-out, and Kelly led Buffalo 64 yards in 1:36 to tie the score, converting on 4th down on the way. Norwood was able to pull it together and connect on the extra point to tie the score. Safety mark Kelso intercepted a Jay Schroeder pass on the second play of OT, setting up Norwood's redeeming game winning kick.

Another thing I remember from those December games in L.A. (1974 and 1991) is that the wind chill was about 72 degrees. I remember being told to take a sweatshirt because "it might get a little cool when the sun goes down."

However, I invariably came home with a sunburned face, and back of my neck.

September 27, 1983

After losing to  the Raiders the prevoius week in Orchard Park (27-24) Joe Ferguson throws five second-half interceptions in Anaheim after the Bills trailed 14-7 at half time.  The Bills score on a 15 yard TD pass to Tony Hunter (2nd qtr)  and a 43-yarder to Byron Franklin (3rd qtr).  Joe D. was 20-44 (271) but 5 Int's would ruin anyone's day and led to 12 LA points.

Dickerson was 32 for 125 including a 2-yard TD and one other that was called back on penalty.

They also lost to San Francisco that season to complete the West Coast "Hat Trick"

48, 246 at Anaheim Stadium

443388[/snapback]

WOW! Fergy threw 5 picks that day! I only recollected it to be about 3. But, come to think of it, it did seem like I was screaming at him after an interception quite often in that 2nd half. As a kid, I didn't realize that 5 interceptions in a half was something that must be history-making, or at least extremely rare. It seemed the norm in my young brain for Fergy.