Coaches Poll - Week 2

bartshan-83

WEEK 2

I will start by saying that I hate that polls even take place this early in the year. I hate preseason polls and I hate that teams may get locked out of a big bowl simply because of where some AP writer or coach "thought" they should be in August. Having said that:

-ND cracked it at #23. Not sure if I agree with that kind of jump (they were like 40th or something last week) but I'll take it. Next week will show whether or not we belong.

-I liked that they switched Tennessee and Michigan. I hate how sometimes they are afraid to mix up the order of the top teams if no one loses. Tennessee did NOT look like the 3rd best team in the nation last week, IMO. Michigan, which still had their flaws, was superior and I think they deserve the swtich.

-I think TCU should have gotten in. They beat a solid OU team AT Norman and its not like they are chumps. They have a decent team and a win like that should be enough to get them in the top 25.

-I would have liked to see Georgia move up a few more spots after that ass whipping they laid on Boise St. A lot of people expected a drop off with Greene gone, and to me, that was a statement game. Maybe Boise is out of their league with the big boys, but I still think it was impressive nonetheless.

A few other minor issues, but thats why its fun to discuss....thoughts?

EDIT: AP Poll also released while I was writing this!

WEEK 2 - AP

I agree with the AP poll a lot more.

-They bumped Tennessee down even further (3 to 6)

-Promoted OSU to 4th (and kept them ahead of VT)

-Included TCU (22) and Clemson (25)

-Dropped OU further (18)

-Put ND higher (20) <_<

Discuss...

Edited by BART at ND

I think Fresno State is going to be a tough team this year...#24 in both polls.

I am a grad of USC, and I will be heading out west to check out the USC-Fresno St. game on Sat. 11/19, and then driving down to S.D. on Sun 11/20 for Bills-Chargers. What a weekend!

Fresno St. could be a dangerous game for USC though. Pete Carroll didn't have to take the game, but he said he admired how Fresno took a "We'll play anybody, anywhere" attitude. So he scheduled them. However, the game is a week after USC plays at Cal, so they will no doubt be bruised. And the following game is the Rose Bowl rivalry against UCLA. Fresno is the textbook let-down game.

Not to mention, Fresno St. has a bunch of California kids who probably were not recruited by USC, so you know they want to roll into LA and do the business.

I hate Ohio State... so I think they should be dropped from the polls. :doh:

TCU will be ranked once some of the pretenders fall.

The game I have circled on my calendar is the October 15th game of USC at Notre Dame. ND has some tough games before USC, but this will be the big one. If USC is going to knocked off, it's going to be the Irish who do it.

USC Schedule

DATE OPPONENT TIME (ET)

Sat, Sep 3rd, 2005 at Hawaii 12:00am

Sat, Sep 17th, 2005 Arkansas 4:00

Sat, Sep 24th, 2005 at Oregon 7:00

Sat, Oct 1st, 2005 at Arizona State 10:00

Sat, Oct 8th, 2005 Arizona 4:00

Sat, Oct 15th, 2005 at Notre Dame 2:30

Sat, Oct 22nd, 2005 at Washington 3:30

Sat, Oct 29th, 2005 Washington State 3:30

Sat, Nov 5th, 2005 Stanford 7:00

Sat, Nov 12th, 2005 at California 6:30

Sat, Nov 19th, 2005 Fresno State 4:00

Sat, Dec 3rd, 2005 UCLA 4:30

I like the AP poll better as well. OSU is at number four, so obviously that is part of it. The only thing is that Michigan did NOT look like a number three team last week.

431296[/snapback]

I only pay attention to the AP poll. Most of the writers make an effort to watch/tape multiple games before casting their vote. They wish to be fair.

The Coaches poll is a total sham. Most Coaches have their sports information director or someone else fill out the ballot for them. The Old Boys Network poll. <_<

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.