NFL Sunday Ticket question: Important

PIZ

It happened to me for the first time in 4 years yesterday. I live in Charleston, Sc with no "local team". I also live in area that Directv does NOT provide local channels for. So...... basically my reward for being a loyal customer for 4 years is to not get some games. If it happens to be a Buffalo game, somebody at dtv will be getting an earful from me. Sure, my antenna will pick up cbs and fox but the quality is terrible. I paid for all this so i would get a good, clear feed, not so i would have to go back to the dark ages to watch football.......  to the new "rules" at Dtv.... Go Bills!!!

without getting into a philosophical debate over directv or to flame what you posted, you knew up front that directv in your area doesn't have local channels. You pay to see up to 14 games a week. They don't guarentee which games will be shown on sunday ticket, just that they all will be "available" to be seen. If the particular game you want to see is on the local channel, then it will be blacked out on sunday ticket. I'd spend your energy complaining about not having local channels in your market, or trying to fenagle a way to get basic cable or dish network with locals only for free. There's workarounds to your problem. It seems odd that charleston's directv coverage doesn't have locals though, if i read you correct. For me, i live in fayetteville, nc. There is no "local" team, just the team that the local affiliate chooses to pick up... Take for instance, someone in albany. There is no local team, but they pick up the giants and jets. Just try to find a cheap fix to your local channel issue with directv.

without getting into a philosophical debate over directv or to flame what you posted, you knew up front that directv in your area doesn't have local channels.  You pay to see up to 14 games a week.  They don't guarentee which games will be shown on sunday ticket, just that they all will be "available" to be seen.  If the particular game you want to see is on the local channel, then it will be blacked out on sunday ticket.  I'd spend your energy complaining about not having local channels in your market, or trying to fenagle a way to get basic cable or dish network with locals only for free.  There's workarounds to your problem.  It seems odd that charleston's directv coverage doesn't have locals though, if i read you correct.  For me, i live in fayetteville, nc.  There is no "local" team, just the team that the local affiliate chooses to pick up...  Take for instance, someone in albany.  There is no local team, but they pick up the giants and jets.  Just try to find a cheap fix to your local channel issue with directv.

29648[/snapback]

True, I knew when I signed up that they didn't have local channels in my area, BUT for four years they have said they were coming. Now they claim that before the year's end (2004), Charleston will have local channels. In the meantime, I have asked to receive the NY local channels in lieu of mine. My request is being processed (and hopefully approved). I needed something to B word about other than the same Bills related bitching prevalent throughout the Wall today. Flame away..... :doh:

Well I just e-mailed Dirtectv (phones were always buzy). I explained that where I live in Montana the local channels are not available thru the air and that there is no cable sevice. I explained thats why I get my network feeds from Directv from N.Y. and Caifornia. I inquired about a possible exemption to the blackout rules under these circumstances. I'll let you all know what their reply is when I get one.

P.S. I bet the phone lines a overloaded due to the blackouts.

philsbills, see if you can get the blackout lifted for the game on local channels due to the fact that they don't have local channels available on the dish. Another long shot, but its a different angle to argue if you get a less than favorable response.

So, I'm flicking throught my Sunday ticket games and I come across 2 games that say "this game is not available in your area, please see program guide for alternate channels" or something like that.  I live in PA and the games were Oakland at Pittsburgh and Bucs at Washington.  What the heck is that?  So, I turn off the dish and go to my cable.  Low and behold, on Fox is the skins game and on CBS is the Steeler game.  Aren't I supposed to get all the games on NFL Sunday Ticket except for Monday night and Sunday night games?  I've had the Ticket for 4 years and have never seen this message.

29505[/snapback]

I had the exact same problem, as I live in Pa. I was never blacked out of any games before this year on ST. I called Directv and told them I didn't have cable and can't get locals OTA and she said it didn't matter, if your local affiliate channels are carrying the games (Steelers and Skins) you will be blacked out on ST. I went to Directv's site where you put in your zip code to see what DMA you are in and I was to be blacked out of Steelers' games, but I can't understand why I was also blacked out of the Skins home game.

Just got my email from DirecTV:

Dear PIZ,

Thanks for writing. I understand how frustrating it is when the game you want to watch isn't available on NFL SUNDAY TICKET. However, we're

required to follow game availability rules set up by the NFL, CBS and

FOX.

In general, you'll get all of the games on channels 702-719 unless:

- Your local FOX or CBS station shows the game, in which case you will

need to tune to your local channel to watch it. If you don't have local

channels in your DIRECTV package, you can add them online at DIRECTV.com or by calling us at 1-800-531-5000.

- The home team in your area didn't sell out the stadium 72 hours before kickoff.

In special situations, a local station may decide at the last minute to

show a different game, in which case we will change the NFL SUNDAY

TICKET blackouts when permitted by the NFL. If a local station switches

coverage due to a one sided or extra-long game, we will lift the

blackouts (when permitted by the NFL) so that you will get the game in

the 700's.