Strange Calls on Offense

marck

There were a number of times yesterday I had horrible flashbacks to the days of Gilbride.

First drive of the game, what's with the stupid reverse to Josh Reed, in which we were lucky to only see a 7 yard loss and not a botched handoff. What makes this a really lousy play is that it took away all the early momentum we had and put us in the hole where our offense is incapable of working through.

Next, can we please lose that stupid quick screen. Here we ended up throwing a backwards pass which ended a good drive by the Bills and sent the Jaguars on the drive to their 2nd field goal.

On the drive in which Drew was sacked when we were on their 1 yard line, why did we run travis twice up the middle and then try the painfully obvious pass to the blacking back. It has been shown the McGahee has real capabilities in goal line situations and seems to come through the pile better then Travis. So I do question the choice of the running back, and why is it that every team other then Buffalo have the quick pitch play or the option pitch. Denver used to do this with Sewell or Winder coming around as a wingback where he would take the pitch from Elway and just walk into the end zone.

Just points from a frustated Bills fan.

Guest BuffaloRebound

That reverse also set up some nice runs by Henry because Jax had to stay honest. The WR screen behind the line also set up another positive play where at least 2 guys went to Moulds behind the line and the pass was throw somewhere else. I thought the play calling was excellent. Almost every play call had a purpose. Way too many mistakes to overcome on O - fumbles, dropped passes, mental mistakes. The only questionable coaching move was not using McGahee on the goal line. But I don't think we'll see that mistake from now on. I predict McGahee will be getting a majority of the carries by the 4th game.

Guest Guest_ch19079_*

i liked most of the play calls. that quick screen got us 8 yards the first time we did it. the fumble was just good Defense by the jags.

i REALLY liked those true screens, mostly to McGahee, but they did well. except that 1 to henry, henry went the wrong way and got killed.

i didnt like the goalline playcalling, cus we havent been able to run up the middle agenst there DTs all day, why would it change now?? play action was nice, but bledsoe didnt throw the ball to a wide open (well he looked wide open from the tv angle) RB in the endzone. a few toss plays would have made more sense.

the reverse was a drive killing -7 yards loss. we didnt have to do it. i would have liked it if it was done in the 3rd quarter on a 2nd and 2. that way they expect a run up the middle. not on the second drive of the game. but it set up the fake reverse which worked well.

just no HB tosses on in the redzone. PLEASE!!!!

That reverse also set up some nice runs by Henry because Jax had to stay honest.  The WR screen behind the line also set up another positive play where at least 2 guys went to Moulds behind the line and the pass was throw somewhere else.  I thought the play calling was excellent.  Almost every play call had a purpose.  Way too many mistakes to overcome  on O - fumbles, dropped passes, mental mistakes.  The only questionable coaching move was not using McGahee on the goal line.  But I don't think we'll see that mistake from now on.  I predict McGahee will be getting a majority of the carries by the 4th game.

29410[/snapback]

so little faith in Henry. the jags have 2 probowl DTs. the raiders do also. they were 3rd in the league in run D last year. and henry still got 75 yards.

so look for the same performance agenst the raiders. and the pats will be hard also, but after that he should be getting 100 yards a game.

Henry is a decent NFL starting running back. That is no indictment on Travis. However, McGahee was damn impressive in the 4th quarter yesterday. Those were difficult yards to get and he produced first downs. McGahee looked better than Travis yesterday. And he is only going to get better as the season wears on.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Give the ball four times in a row to McGahee on that goaline and I am pretty confident he would have scored. Actually if they ran Henry four straight times I'm confident he would of scored also. I can't believe they tried to throw the ball with Shelton as the primary option. Thats a call that last years loser would have made.

I agree with you 100% about them not using Mcgahee on the goal line stand. Mcgahee has proven time and again that he runs it into the end zone better than Travis

There were a number of times yesterday I had horrible flashbacks to the days of Gilbride.

First drive of the game, what's with the stupid reverse to Josh Reed, in which we were lucky to only see a 7 yard loss and not a botched handoff.  What makes this a really lousy play is that it took away all the early momentum we had and put us in the hole where our offense is incapable of working through.

Next, can we please lose that stupid quick screen.  Here we ended up throwing a backwards pass which ended a good drive by the Bills and sent the Jaguars on the drive to their 2nd field goal.

On the drive in which Drew was sacked when we were on their 1 yard line, why did we run travis twice up the middle and then try the painfully obvious pass to the blacking back.  It has been shown the McGahee has real capabilities in goal line situations and seems to come through the pile better then Travis.  So I do question the choice of the running back, and why is it that every team other then Buffalo have the quick pitch play or the option pitch.  Denver used to do this with Sewell or Winder coming around as a wingback where he would take the pitch from Elway and just walk into the end zone.

Just points from a frustated Bills fan.

29386[/snapback]